DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

I would like to drop a personal statement here.
For me N1, NX and all lenses with the new AF mount are way too clumsy. Look at N1 + 24-85. What a monster! That's medium format level!

If I will settle for a Contax SLR system to complement the actual G setup, this has to be an "old fashioned" C/Y system, just because of size and weight.

I think that they should never stop production of the current C/Y mount lenses; on the contrary they should develop new lens designs and on the long term a digital C/Y-body as well!
Just because of size and weight.

BTW, Leica has slip up the same way in SLRs. They did not replace R6.2 by a (better) light body. As they stated because of "no demand".
I am sure that there would be a sustainable demand for an FM3a-equivalent body! Combined with the best SLR lenses, this would be an instant classic.

Not every so called serious amateur puts up with lugging tons of gear.
Not every subject feels comfortable when being "shot" by a monster camera.

Till

Til, IMO the Contax SLR system, even C/Y mount, has always been a bit larger and heavier.

There are exceptions, like the Aria with a 45mm "Pancake" which is fairly small in comparison.

The N gear is pretty big, but not as heavy as it looks...my Nikon D1-X is about the same size as the ND, but weighs more. I don't mind the N size, but I'm a big guy and like the handling and stability.

That said, my favorite camera is the Leica M for all the reasons you posted here.

Marc,

for sure my demands direct to the RF profile, and that is mostly why I use one (G2)!

But why, actually?
RFs are widely celebrated to be so small and light, which is correct if you compare them to most current SLRs, but not if you look at the mechanical 70's SLRs and left over Nikon FM3A. Then they are just in the same league. (Ok, add the lenses and there is an advantage.)

Anyway, in the era of miniaturization I do not see the point why big SLRs are top of the range and light ones are entry level (Aria, RTS III).
If I need so called "pro" specs such as 1/250 X-sync, I have to lug the big beast. I would willingly pay the price of a pro SLR if it would be at the weight of an entry level one, e.g. due to a magnesium body or whatever. (Pentax MZ-S' USP is to meet this requirements, but again: Why?)

I only understand that a heavy body is better suited for really big tele glass.

Till

Till, I hear you. I shoot weddings, and by the end of the night my back is busted. When I travel all I usually take is a M6 and 3 lenses.

I have traveled with the N1, and it wasn't that bad. The camera weighs about the same as a R6.2 , but is just bigger. I posted some photos from that trip to Miami in the gallery here on contaxinfo.com (they're under the name fotografz). For me, the results from the Ziess glass were worth the effort.

All in all, it makes you wish for the old Olympus.

A question about the CAF for the N1 and Nx: is it possible to switch over to focus priority in the CAF mode? Is it possible to photograph moving objects in the SAF mode? My point is that I hate to get a lot of out-of-focus slides when photographing moving objects, so I prefer focus-priority (better no picture then an out-of-focus picture).

I also here you about the size of the N1,but all that said , the results of the N1 and the 24/85 and 70/ 300 are outstanding, I also wanted to get into a G2 or M6 for travel, but what you gain in the smaller size you lose in the benifits of the more versatile SLR system, I would have to spend 4-to 5k in optics along just to have what we have in one pkg with the 24/85.
just my opinion

Rick

Few years back when I traveled to Italy, I wanted to travel light because I need to take trains between cities. Hence, I brought a P&S camera with a mini DV camera. I kicked myself, even today, not bringing my SLR, especially in Venice. Ever since, I lug my N1 w/ 24-85mm everywhere. I use a Lowepro mini 100 backpack and it works very well with all the domestic and overseas trips.

It is pain in the neck to carry the N1 around for a long trip comparing a G/G2 or any RFs. But the result is well worth it IMO. We should live life with "No Regret". And "no regret" are the words you need after any trip. N1 (or ND when I can afford one) might be a better tools comparing to the Gs. But it all depends on personal situation.

I hear you, Albert. At one time I used to travel with a Fuji GX-680 outfit. THe N1 (ND in my case) and two zooms is heaven.

DJ

no regret is difficult to achive....i had my n1 and 24-85, because of regret, i brought the 70-300, later the 50mm 1.4, the extention ring....

Just purchased a used Contax NX. Arrived in the mail with a broken camera back. Need to replace it. I have contacted Kyocera repair service in NJ at least four times (2 emails, 2 telephone calls) to get a replacement back and have received no response. Any other source for parts or am I talking to the wrong people at Kyocera ?

Thanks.

Back