DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Batteries for Panasonic. Specifically for the FZ2500 and possibly other FZ's?

Fishrman

Can anyone recommend a less expensive battery to replace the model DMW-BLC12PP 7.2v 1200mah 8.7Wh li-on, or do you recommend spending the extra money for the OEM battery?

I have had decent luck with PowerTrust 7.2V 1500mAh Li-ion batteries. I have two of those and the original Lumix one. I believe the Lumix is better, but also twice as expensive.
There is no model number, only "For Pan. DWC-BLC12"

B&H photo recommends the Watson battery. Check here I think Watson is the only 3rd party battery maker that B&H recommends. Wasabi batteries are also good in my experience.

B&H photo recommends the Watson battery. Check here I think Watson is the only 3rd party battery maker that B&H recommends. Wasabi batteries are also good in my experience.
I agree with Watson's being pretty good. I've used Watson BLS-50, BLN-1, BLM-1, BLM-5, and DMW-BCL12 clone batteries over the years (maybe also BLS-5/1 and LI-90B). I no longer have the G85, but back in the day, I used do long sessions and Watsons were in the mix (but not the only clone battery, as the FZ300 that I bought also used the BCL12 battery and it had other clone batteries).

Over time, I tend to have most batteries swell up (including OEM Olympus/Panasonic batteries BTW). You have to watch for swelling, and replace the battery when it starts to swell up. I don't keep track of the numbers, but for BLN-1 clones, Watsons last about 5 years (the Olympus BLN-1's might last somewhat longer) before swelling. This is a lot longer run time compared to other clone batteries (like Wasabi) that have swelled up within a year.

Since the main place to buy Watson batteries is B&H, I've always wondered if the Watson brand is the B&H store brand. If so, I might anticipate that might (note I said, might, not did) influence things down in terms of the store recommendation.

I recall a few years ago, we were discussing BLN-1 clones over at dpreview. One poster (IIRC, airmel) did a tear down of various clone batteries, and his/her/their conclusion was they were better made than most of the clone batteries (but not to the level of the OEM batteries). She/he/they figured they would give about 80% of the run time compared to the OEM batteries, at something like 50% of the cost.

Back