DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Something is going on with Zeiss

Hi Paolo,
I have tried three times to register but it won't work for me either and just rejects delivery.

Well, what does this new Zeiss excursion tell us? Seems to me they've realized their relationship with Kyocera is not blossoming but rather on the way down - gee what a surprise. It's true they get a newer market with the M mount, but it seems to me like a slap on the G system, unless they plan to make the lenses available in G mount at a later date.

DJ
Still hoping for confirmation of the ND Mark 2, unlikely as it may be ...

Posted by DJ Garcia (Djg) on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 2:22 am: " unless they plan to make the lenses available in G mount at a later date."

I can't see the point in that really. There is more or less congruence between the G and M series, the main differences being the 15mm M is a distagon as against a 16mm G biogon, the 35mm M is a biogon, not a planar as in the G series, and there is a 25mm Biogon to add. The 21mm and 28mm lenses are biogons in both systems, the 45mm G planar corresponds to a 50mm M planar and the 90mm G sonar to an 85mm M sonnar. Unless I'm missing something obvious there doesn't seem much incentive to swap the G system for the M system when all I'd be getting is the option of a 25nn lens to slot in between the 21 and 28... usually I find one or the other is perfectly adequate. If I were starting from scratch then it may be different, but I'm not and I await the prices with interest.

Alex

Well as the NDA expires today, and we haven't heard anything, can we assume that Contax/Kyocera are not launching a new DSLR?

It looks like I will finally have to look elsewhere
uhoh.gif

Hi, here is the first update. We attended the press conference of Carl Zeis yesterday at the photokina. I doubt whether a digital body for the zeiss Ikon will be available anywhere within the next 2 years.

Zeiss said, they will offer a digital body as soon as there will be a chip which is capable of utilizing the image quality of the new ZM-lenses. They doubt that this will happen soon.

The M-mount gave oter questions regarding exchangebility between M-cameras. They are 100% usable on an M-Camera. No adjustments needed like with the Konica Hexar RF lenses.

I handled a prototype of the Zeiss Ikon. Since it is a prototype take it with a grain of salt. Framing lines within the viewfinder seem to be brighter/clearer than my old M6. Handling was fine, but I am not sure whether it will be the same feeling as with an M. We will only know that once it will be in mass production.

It is a battery dependant shutter (costwise they had to use one that is available in the market already). Focussing accuracy shall be higher than with a Leica. Lens flare control, distortion, colour reproduction etc, shall also be better.

It will be available in Europe only in silver. In Japan also in black. Distribution worldwide ex-Japan is made by Hasselblad, In Japan by Cosina. Cosina is manufacturing both, the body and the lenses. I guess Carl Zeiss, as always, is managing the quality control, but have no confirmation for this yet.

All lenses are really new designed with the newest know-how of the Arri-lenses for the movie industry regarding colour reproduction, lens flare etc. They are at least on par with the Contax N-mount lenses in this respect. I guess because of the easier design for rangefinders, the image qulaity is better than for the N-system.

Zeiss was able get to up to 400lpm on a Gigabit film with these lenses. According to Zeiss no chip is currently available that can match this image quality and they doubt there will be one within the next 2 years.

The whole Zeiss-Ikon system was made with the intention to give an instrument for people who enjoy the manual focusing and certain handling with manual controls. Nevertheles it has also aperture priority to satisfy a broader target group. The first lenses will be available already end of October - Marc, this is for you
happy.gif
- the 85mm, 21mm and 15mm in spring next year. The body roughly in April/May.

Prices of the lenses and the body will be around 65% of the Leica equivalent (official estimate).

We will have meetings tomorrow and on Friday with Zeiss people and hope to get even more information - and hopefully are allowed to publish them
happy.gif

Havent you heard Contax just introduced another digital p/s!! well I guess it's time to join the unwashed masses at Canon...even Mamiya woke up after 3 years of nothing and saw the writing on the wall....

Hi Paolo,

I know, it is a pain and we suffer too. But as of today I am only allowed to talk about Contax i4R and u4R, the two new P&S digitals.

We will have this week another meeting with some high-positioned people from Kyocera. Maybe we are allowed afterwards to bring more transparancy into the Contax life. At least we will again try to convince them, that it is better to talk about their plans than leave all costumers alone and in doubt whether there is any kind of Contax future.

I guess everybody knows that the Zeiss Ikon is a slap in the face for Kyocera. Although I do not see it as a competition to the G-System, it should IMO wear the Contax name on it. Also the cooperation with Hasselblad for the distribution is not really nice for Kyocera. So I am pretty sure that this message will get through the top management of Kyocera. Hopefully the result will be a change in communication & marketing strategy.

I am really sorry for this silence. Hopefully, we are allowed to talk about more specific things after the Kyocera meeting. It is kind of frustrating to see "how to switch to Canon" discussions in a Contax forum
happy.gif

Thanks for all your feedback, Dirk. We really appreciate it, and appreciate your position as far as what you cannot talk about.

We'll be waiting to hear when you are able discuss it!

DJ

Back