DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Some K5 Love

RBIV

DPRF-Patron
Must admit I've been adding to my Z system for the last few months, and I'd like an 85mm for the Z5. So... I dusted off the old camera shelf and looked at the K5 with the 20-40 zoom and thought... there's my new Z85.

But, I made the mistake of taking it out before trading it in. Kinda large and heavy. But the dials and buttons are right there where they should be. Feels nice. Familiar. Don't have to turn it on to look thru the viewfinder. How quaint... Real slow focus but, hey, what's the hurry?

New growth at Loma Mar shot while waiting for friends to arrive at the cafe.
K5_2085b.jpg
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K-5
  • 20.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/125 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

Pentax K5, DA20-40Ltd @ 20mm

Taking a walk with my daughter, one of Brentwood's many bicycle paths
K5_2099.jpg
Pentax K5, DA20-40Ltd @ 30mm

OK. I can't trade it. While the K5 is certainly nothing special today, it is just such a friendly camera, still capable of rendering a decent image.
It's safe on the old camera shelf. The new Z85 can wait.

LOL. The 77 would be too long for me on the K5, but I've lusted after a 31 for a long time. It's my all time favorite lens that I've never owned.

I figured I'd buy the 3 Amigos when I went FF with a Pentax, but the size and modern optics of Nikon's Z system won me over on the FF format. At least for now..... as most of us know, GAS rears it's head now and then with unpredictable results. o_O

Must admit I've been adding to my Z system for the last few months, and I'd like an 85mm for the Z5. So... I dusted off the old camera shelf and looked at the K5 with the 20-40 zoom and thought... there's my new Z85.

But, I made the mistake of taking it out before trading it in. Kinda large and heavy. But the dials and buttons are right there where they should be. Feels nice. Familiar. Don't have to turn it on to look thru the viewfinder. How quaint... Real slow focus but, hey, what's the hurry?

New growth at Loma Mar shot while waiting for friends to arrive at the cafe.
View attachment 2869
Pentax K5, DA20-40Ltd @ 20mm

Taking a walk with my daughter, one of Brentwood's many bicycle paths
View attachment 2872
Pentax K5, DA20-40Ltd @ 30mm

OK. I can't trade it. While the K5 is certainly nothing special today, it is just such a friendly camera, still capable of rendering a decent image.
It's safe on the old camera shelf. The new Z85 can wait.

The K5 looks stunning with the 20 to 40 on . . BUT i guess i might be biased. Like Dirk said the 77mm will also look stunning.
K5 was when sensors matured into what we have today noise wise and DR. I like the old sensors as well. Live life on the edge a bit.

Enjoy Regards Dino26323

OK. Just one more K5 image from today, and then the K5 goes back on the "old cameras" shelf.
Permanent resident. For occasional use.

Favorite rock of the neighborhood sporting it's authentic "Golden California" colors....
23_0503_K5__2187.jpg
Pentax K5, DA20-40 Ltd @ 20mm

OK. Just one more K5 image from today, and then the K5 goes back on the "old cameras" shelf.
Permanent resident. For occasional use.

All your K5 images look nice. What Z equipment do you have? Have you considered getting a K-mount adapter? I admit, I'm a die-hard Pentaxian, but am Z-curious.

Back