DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G2

Hi everyone,

I'd like to ask those of you who have black G2s how the black finish holds up.
Great site.

Jan Fischer

Hi=20 Not so good. Black 200 flash worst. Lenses OK. Minolta Dynax 9 used and bought at the same time much better. G lenses for Minolta =AD excellent almost up to colour / sharpness of Contax not quite sam= e 3d. Talking of black lenses, any one know if there is a black 35mm G lens?

How about digital back for new G3 =AD 6megapixel full frame option. Spot metering plus manual/auto lenses as N1.

Keep up site =AD great stuff.

Simon Radclyffe

1/3 rangefinder, 1/3 point & shoot, 1/3 AF SLR -- I can't really decide if that is brilliant or just too much of a compromise.

The biggest selling point of the G2 are the lenses. They are simple wonderfully sharp, contrasty and colorful. Combine that with the size, quality, feel and you have a very powerful package for travel/street/candid portraits etc.

Cons: hard to get over the lack of focus confirmation. other gripes include the small/dim viewfinder, the noisy AF system, and the fact that the lens parks itself at infinity after each photo. Also, I do wish the had some faster lenses, e.g. a 50/1.4

Overall, I think the G2 is indeed a compromise but a very good one. I sold off my other stuff and currently use this one as my only camera system, and I don't think that is the way to go.

cheers,

pat

I'm a fairly new G2 user but in the several months I've had mine, I have all but forgotten my days with a Leica M. The viewfinder issue is a non-issue with me and does, indeed, seem to be a good compromise between an SLR and a viewfinder with bright lines as in Leica and Cosinas. The news that the lens "parks" itself at infinity was just that, news. I hadn't noticed and, frankly, didn't care.

But I am in wholehearted agreement that a 135mm is needed. If the RF baseline in the Leica M system is long enough to support one, it would surely seem the G's is long enough.

So far, I've found the f2 in the 45 fast enough and although an f2 in the 90 would be a help, I haven't lost any shots because the 90's only a 2.8. You learn to work around things, I suppose.

The Zeiss lenses lift this camera out of the middle of the field and put it right at the head of the pack.

Drayton

G2 is a very handsome camera! I love its small size, its AF, its shifting/zooming viewfinder. Of course the lens is its soul. I am just absolutely in love with the 45mm f/2. After buying it I sold my Canon EOS A2 (EOS 5 outside US), and all its lenses.

My ideal set up right now is to have a Rolleiflex 2.8FX or GX, then bring along my G2+21+45+90. Then down the road I may get back into 35mm SLRs when there is a digital SLR with 8 megapixel resolution.

Hi Contaxfolks,

I got the G2 plus 45mm Planar for 725 at Tamarkin's this Saturday. It was a wonderful bargain including the strap, manual, lens hood, and Contax filter as well in the outfit. I am happy to have it in my hands.

It feels very very ergonomic and comfortable. The titanium body seems rather rugged no doubt. The weight of it is rather exquisite. The best thing is that I can shoot picture in autofocus mode without ever looking in the viewfinder for totally shealthy shots. Granted the autofocus motor is rather noisy but it's a zillion times quieter than most autofocus SLR lenses on the market. I enjoyed using and the dials are placed very well. I shot like 8-10 rolls this weekend.

Tamarkin's treated me rather well for the bargain. I enjoyed it quite a bit that they have a solid Contax outfit and stuff in stock. I got all of the Contax brochures while I was there and it was a pleasure. I handled both the N1 and NX AF cameras and love those. They remind me of the advanced Leica R8 in terms of feel and comfort and they have more features and power than the R8. Although they don't pack a punch into my walletbook. I plan to get the NX first (as the backup body) with the 50mm or the zoom lens which I am debating on. I love the autofocus camera and man, they are so so quiet in their motors. Makes me wonder whether the G3 will have a silent motor like that.

Of course I will hopefully get a black G2 outfit later on. I truly love the G2 quite a bit and it's portability won't break my back at all which is a rather strong blessing indeed.

All the same, hopefully I get back some wonderful prints for ya to check out. Cool beans and happy shooting!

Alfie

Hi Kevin,

I got my outfit used but it was totally perfect. I can't complain about Tamarkin's at http://www.tamarkin.com/ and they are perfect Contax dealers. Their Leica prices aren't the best but considering that I'm not going to be investing too much in my M3 and into Contax instead, I would be hanging out at Union Square 4-ever
happy.gif

Go for it, Kevin. Call up Tamarkin's and get a used G2 kit. They have a solid deal because they have an overstock in their used G2 kits. ;)

Alfie

Thanks, Alfie.

Since I am 1,500 miles away from NY, I am debating over ordering a grey/used G2 kit or a new G1 kit with 3 years of USA warranty.

Kevin

Back