DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

SRT101 mirror is slow

K

ktm300nj

My SRT101 was working fine, but with an aftermarket 400mm lens, the mirror seems to be hanging up partially or just too slow. Occasionally I get the top 3/4 of a picture which I know is a mirror problem. The d&er and foam seem to be OK. Is there a part inside I need to replace?
I have some extra bodies that I use for parts and a repair manual showing disassembly.

Thanks.

Dennis Schiller (Ktm300nj) wrote: My SRT101 was working fine, but with an aftermarket 400mm lens, the mirror seems to be hanging up partially or just too slow. Occasionally I get the top 3/4 of a picture which I know is a mirror problem. The d&er and foam seem to be OK. Is there a part inside I need to replace? I have some extra bodies that I use for parts and a repair manual showing disassembly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peter Blaise responds: THe camera is okay with other lenses?

I imagine the mirror is hitting the back of the lens.

OR

The lens is so heavy that it is twisting/bending/distorting the mirror/shutter box on the camera, and the mirror is scraping the sides of the distorted camera. Does the mirrir go back when you remove the lens? Use a tripod mount on the LENS, or support the lens first or separately from the camera. Try a shot STRAIGHT DOWN to see if the mirror works without the lens applying torque to the camera!

As you imply, the camera is okay without the lens, so there's nothing to "fix" on the camera.

I have some lenses that are so heavy, they often bend the lens mount enough to lift over the MC tab (or the MD tab on my Minolta X-700 camera). There is nothing wrong, except believing that the lens mount can hold so many pounds against gravity wanting to pull it down!

Let us know what happens when you hold the lens, not the camera, or figure out a way to tripod the lens and then attach the camera to it, or even put a tripod on both!

Also, please specify exact details: WHAT 400mm lens? Sigma 400mm f/5.6? Tamron 400 f/2.8? Samigon 400mm f/8? Does anyone know why I ask for details? ;-)

... as in "gosh, my Vivitar 500mm f/8 doesn't bend the mirror/shutter box?!?"

Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise Monahon

Minolta Vivitar Tamron Fujifilm Ilford Kodak Adobe Hewlett Packard et cetera Photographer

peterblaise@yahoo.com

http://www.peterblaisephotography.com/

http://www.geocities.com/peterblaise/minoltamf/

The lens is a Soligor Tele-auto f:6.3 f=400mm with the original T-mount adaptor. Now the T-mount adaptor measures exactly the same as my Minolta 58mm f:1.2 as to depth of bayonet mount, MC tab so I don't think the mirror is hitting the back of the lens. I also checked with the shutter on B and turning the mirror lock up. The lock-up may be different than when the shutter moves the mirror. Unfortunately, I cannot check the camera body for twisting since I loaned that one out. I do remember bracing the lens whenever I use it, either with my left hand or a fence post. I'm saving up for a tripod :) I'll put the lens on a different body this weekend.
I'll try uploading two pics...

9033.jpg

Back