CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Zeiss 17-35N Usability

skeeton

Hello,

I am interested to know how people are using this lens. To me it seems like the perfect lens for exploring the street but, given the weight, I would have thought a tripod would be necessary to really do the lens justice.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,

Stuart

fotografz

I've never used the 17-35/2.8N on a tripod. Always hand held.

Super-wides hide a host of ills by allowing use of slower shutter speeds without visible shake (like 1/15th when at 16mm). Also, the weight actually helps steady the camera.

skeeton

Interesting. I've always been slightly perplexed by the 1/(focal length) shutter speed recommendation especially when a (camera + wide angle) can weigh more than a (camera + telephoto). Its obviously not a question a weight. Nice to hear about the balance as well.

rico

Actually, Stuart, you have good reason to be perplexed because focal length is only one factor affecting the visibility of camera shake. When street shooting in low light, I need several methods to produce a sharp image.

Firstly, a wide-angle lens of 15mm allows an initial shutter speed of 1/15 second. I allow Zone 4 and below to go black, gaining three stops of latitude. Since the CoC (circle of confusion) is linearly influenced by print size and viewing distance, I halve the print size and double the viewing distance for another two stops. Drinking reduces hand tremors by half for each shot of alcohol, so one bottle of wine is worth 4 stops. Finally, each kilo of additional weight is worth one stop, so I hang two bags of kitty litter and a ham sandwich off the tripod socket for 10 kg, or 10 more stops. (A sandwich is helpful for those longer urban treks.) Taken together, these factors allow handheld shots with effective exposure time of eight hours (two hours actual)!

In fact, the only time I suffer camera shake is when I pick myself and the camera off the ground, and try to shoot from a standing position.

rico

Thanks, Yuske. A little gallows humor seemed in order as another PMA ends with Kyocera MIA: no N primes, no N DSLR. N stands for Nothing.

Meanwhile, peer products are charging forward: Minolta Dynax 7 Digital, Kodak SLR/n, Canon 1D2, Nikon D70, Fujifilm S3. As someone about to replace an aging Canon D30, I enjoy an embarrassment of riches. The N 17-35 may be the best zoom in that range, but it's lonely without the rest of the system.

Two PMA developments seemed apropos to the Contax situation: Leica M mount going digital, and the Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n. The acceptance angle problem is being adequately addressed by microlenses in front of the sensor, without the need for wider mounts or new optical designs. If Contax won't enlarge the N lens selection, then at least develop the RTS Digital body and coast on the splendid selection of C/Y optics. Leica is all but bankrupt, and even they are moving forward along this line.

jsmisc

I agree with Rico that an RTS digital or an Aria digital, as being small and light, that we could use our lovely C/Y CZ lenses on as well as other C/Y mount brands would be wonderful. Is it now feasible or likely? If it is feasible maybe it is likely, if Kyocera want to keep up. They would quickly woo us enthusiasts but would they gain new business?