DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Need advice on buying a Contax ND

> Edward,

I just posted two shots to the Contax Gallery rtaken with my ND. You can also see my review of the ND and some s&le shots at www.outbackcoyote.com Just click on the Contax ND review on the top left of the page. I think it is a great camera, but with some quirks.

Michael.

labor live this is, you must treat the ND like your kit and let it = develop and grow on you. it will take a while before you get the hang of this = camera and for it to produce what you want it to do. as mentioned before the = raw process and its workflow associated with the contax developer is useless = and not needed. also the raw developer is/was an option and you need to make sure the ebay stuff or your good deal has the developer if you want to = use it.

=20

I have had the ND for a while and like mark, have used all the others (d1x,d2h,d10,1d,1ds and kodak 645 back). once you get to use the nd properly, it will produce pleasant result and in this crop it will hold = its own, later after pma i don;t know=20

=20

i needed an anger management course, while i was getting use to the ND, = i was expecting similar experience list the other digital but this one was different

Michael,

Thanks for that - your shots on your website look ace - now I just have to win the auction on ebay!!

Ciao, Saras

Marc,

I am not an ND shooter but why would you want to convert your sRGB file into RGB? I understand that pretty much all small format (35mm) DSLR cameras shoot in sRGB. Unless you're shooting for a graphics client or a client who really wants RGB you're better off staying in sRGB. All printers that I know of use sRGB as their working space. Say you take an sRGB file and convert it to RGB. If you end up with any data in your RGB file that's outside the sRGB space and it gets printed in an sRGB space, as with most all printers, anything that's outside the sRGB box will be lost unless it's reconverted back to sRGB and every time you convert you damage your information anyway, albiet only slightly.

There's good information on this sRGB vs. RGB debate at http://www.shootsmarter.com/infocenter/wc025.html

Guy

> There is an AC adapter that is part of the standard kit. The > standard accessories are: Strap, AC adapter, AA battery charger, 4 AA > NiMH batteries, CCD parameter disc -- this is required if you intend > to use the RAW developer, RAW developer disc, and firewire cable. >

> I shoot mostly jpegs with the camera and dial the K temp for white > balance or use custom if I can. That brings to mind an area of > complaint: The white balance temp is adjustable in large steps only, > this is not a problem if you shoot RAW or use custom white balance. > But really, 4700, 5500 and then 6500 doesn't allow one to get very > close without using custom. The Canons and Nikon D2H allow you to > set the WB temp in increments of 100. Maybe I'm missing > something???

> To monitor the exposure I have the camera display the histogram after > every shot and that seems to work well since the on camera displays > are often misleading.

Marc,

I may need to correct myself. Is the format called "Tiff-RGB" with the ND? Egg on my face...

Guy

Hi Dave. I don't think that you would you have any of these white balance problems if you shot film and scanned it.
John (tongue in cheek)

Actually Guy, the article you pointed out is interesting. With the Canon 1Ds you can select to shoot either RGB or sRGB.
When I get some time, I'll test the notion with prints from a Epson 2200. But I think when preparing images I like to maintain the greatest amount of info possible for future use. You can always dumb down the file to sRGB for use now IF what he says is true.

The thing I don't get is this piece of advice... which leads me to believe there IS a visible difference in end quality.

..."But if you want the best possible image you can squeeze out of your digital camera, especially if you’re shooting landscape, fine art, or commercial work, then shoot RAW, convert to 16 bit AdobeRGB, then convert to your specific printers 8 bit output space (we recommend getting a custom profile for your printer) in Photoshop and send it to your printer. That’s proper digital workflow.
But if you're shooting senior portraits, or weddings, or corporate headshots why spend hours and hours processing all these 16 bit RAW files?...

Wedding prints ARE art for me. I want the best I can squeeze out of the camera. And digital cameras need all the help they can get.

BUT, on the other hand I get terrific prints from the ND...???? 

> Film?? My G1 shots with the 45 f2 still knock me off my feet! Heck, > I only use digital to test lighting!!! : )

Back