DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Does the 645 Polaroid Back fit with MP1 Battery Holder in place

G

The MP-1 Battery Holder powers the Contax 645 with a choice of four AA batteries, can the polaroid back be attached or is there a conflict with the battery holder?

#2 Does the camera run okay with nickel-metal hydride AA batteries in the MP-1 holder - 4AA x 1.2 volts = 4.8 Volts rather than 6 volts, isn't this a problem?

#1 The polaroid back is difficult to attach regardless. I tend to spin the knob and drop the MP-1 down about .5" - .75" to facilitate attachment. I'm sure there is an easier way, but it works.

#2 I plan on trying this one out. I purchased the MP-1 to address battery life, but I've been disappointed. I'm lucky to get five 120 rolls through the monster. I figure rechargables must be the way to go.

I'm using a digipower 6V nickel metal hydride rechargable pack that costs about $40 USD. You can buy a cord from digipower that plugs directly into the socket in the base of the 645. It is small about the size of 5 AA batteries together. It works great but does add a dangling wire that must be dealt with at times.

The MP-1 can be used with 4.8V and I have used the Hahnel new 1800Ma Hi-Mh batteries.
When charged in the new Hahnel Rapid charger only takes 90 minutes I get 15 Rolls of film through my unit. Batteries need to be used at least 5 times before full charge can be taken by the batteries.

Dear Alan, Robert and Jerome,

Just a note that your battery concerns are also the subject of a recent thread on the "Review 645" forum. Check the entries around August 15-20.

Guy Harrison

#1, Can anyone tell me that if I use the MP-1 Battery Holder, can I mount the C645 with the polaroid back on a tripod direclty? Or do I have to use the Contax Quick Shoe Adapter?

#2, Is there any other assocessary that I can use to mount the camera with polaroid back on the tripod? The quick shoe adapter is expensive. Besides, all my tripod heads already have quick release plates.

Hi Albert, Yes the MP-1 lets you use the Polaroid Back without the need of the Quick release Adapter.It lifts the camera by about 1 inch so you can get your finger in below the Polaroid Back and release the plate.
The MP-1 also has the Portrait release and the AA battery housing for rechargable batteries.
One of the best accessories for the 645
Best regards Bob.

Bob, Thanks for your information. Now it makes more sense for me to buy the MP-1.It always on top of my shopping list anyway.

Does anyone have any problem to attach the Polaroid back into the C645, especially with the MP-1 battery grip?

I purchased a brand new Polaroid back recently from an authorized dealer. When I attach the Polaroid back onto the camera, the power of the C645 body sometime does not turn on. The connection to the body does not seen to be tightly fit. I do not have any problem with my regular film back.

> Albert Lau has experienced what I assume many have in regards to the C645 (Expensive) Polaroid back. Recently rented a C645 Pol. Back from Samy's camera in L.A. Discovering the same problem, intermittent power off and on, also would sometimes fire in continuous mode with the dark slide in! The rental manager was amazed and tried a brand new polaroid C645 back and it malfunctioned as well. Finally, the store manager pulled a third back from new inventory and voila, it functioned correctly. The moral of the story? Hasselblad has definite advantages in the instant film department. I recently purchase the Contax 645 and am slowly discovering a multitude of design flaws that I will probably be unable to overcome. I also purchased a new 120 film back and insert which would not initially latch positively to the C645 body. After repeated attempts at mounting to another body in a store, the back's spring latch "broke in" and appears to be o.k.. I suppose the plastic has aesthetic and techno appeal, but I am wondering if Contax's manufacturing QA has a ways to go before it can stand up to metal at this time.

Back