Zeiss 35/1.4 AE and MM - ARE THEY THE SAME OPTICAL?

J

joseph_m

Im buying a 35mm 1.4AE german made lens.Is it as good as the newer MM lens.I don't use the program modes. So no need for the MM lens.

bobbl46

For most practical purposes, you will detect no difference in the end results. But, a few things to condider.......

1) The MM bayonet mount is considered (by some) to be slightly less physically robust....and before this starts a huge debate.....I do emphasize slightly.

2) The MM mount is designed to mark itself and the camera flange less than the AE, with repeated mount/dismount operations.

3) The etching of internal reflective surfaces is different with AE and MM lenses. Are the MM's superior in reflection control? Don't know, I've never tried a controlled test.

4) The aperture blade configuration on some lenses differ between AE and MM versions. MM lenses can have a "more" circular opening than the same setting on an AE.

5) Resale value may be a small consideration. People who use Shutter Priority or Program modes will want MM's.

6) MM's will usually be younger lenses! Obviously this has to balanced against use/abuse with individual specimens!

Cheers, Bob.