DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

CONTAX DSLR Speculation

That's a pretty convincing argument for Canon; nice picture too.
Thanks Marc
P.S. Do you find the Canon big and heavy to handle

Yes John, it's big and heavy and so are many of the better lenses. But I'm a big guy. The hand strap is essential IMO, so you can just let the camera hang at arms length. I think what does it is the weight of the battery. If they succeed in reducing the weight of that single item it will help.

I have a 20D and 17-85 for vacation junk and snapshots. I don't think I'd ever carry the 1DsMKII in those circumstances even for serious work ... that's what Leica Ms are for ; -)

Here's a shot from the event job pretty much right out of the camera. 1DsMKII, ETTL fill flash, 50/1.4 @ f/2.2

299686.jpg

Speaking of adapters, is there any way to get an adapter to go from the C645 using a Kodak back to allow the use of the ND lenses on this camera? Since the kodak sensor is 36mm square this would seem like a good combination.

Marc, your point is well taken. I have seen a lot of your s&les in various forum. You seems to use prime lenses most of the time including weddings. Your images are great and the quality is so there. I know it is your skill more than a tool issue. (Using prime lens does separate the man from boycott.) But I am too used to zooms, I found the 16-35mm L and 24-70mm L soft and the lenses are heavy. (It can be a personal issue, no steady hands.) I think I should learn to use prime lenses for event. Any suggestion on what setup I should use, i.e. how many bodies, and what lenses at want situations for a wedding event.

I am in the process of building up a Canon system. Any suggestion for lenses for event would be appreciated.

Finally, Marc, did you use 580EX flash for your X'mas event?

Since this is a Contax forum, let me make a comment on the ND. It is still a great camera in today's standard. Full frame and being able to use AF Zeiss lens. At times I feel lucky to have one with all things considered. Although the mgr at Calumet suggested me to dump all my Contax gear for the 1Ds Mark II.

Enjoy what we have, hope for what we don't...

Albert.

550EX Albert. Can't seem to get one of the new 580s.

I have had pretty good luck with the Canon 16-35/2.8L, although it does feature more distortion than I care for in some shots. The key Prime Canon lenses IMO are the 35/1.4L, 85/1.2L and 135/2L, followed by 24/1.4L, 50/1.4, 100/2.8 macro.

While I do use the 16-35/2.8 on a regular basis for weddings and events, the 24 through 135 will meet most needs with super available light ability and image quality. 24mm is pretty wide on the 1DsMKII due to being full frame.

My wish list now includes an adapter for N to EOS since I shoot wide open or just stopped down a bit 95% of the time. And the N lenses are more suited to manual focus than the Canon glass. I'm going to look into that immediately.

Were I you I wouldn't dump the N gear unless you have to for financial reasons. It is worth much more in image quality than it would fetch on the market these days.

Thanks Marc. I love the Mr.and Mrs.Christmas picture and if that is more or less straight from the camera...
But I think I would have a problem with the weight- and definitely the cost- but I am most and very impressed. At the moment I think I shall have to stick to film and tedious scanning because I think that for digital Canon has it but the cost and the weight rule it out for me. Hands on experience like yours backed up by genuine pictures taken in the field is very convincing.
Thanks again ,
John

Just held up a Contax 85/1.4 and 17-35 to the 1DsMKII and did some shots. The mount is very similar, so it may be possible. The N mount snugged right in there ... so the question is if you can maintain infinity focus or not. But with the C17-35 it may not be an issue due to DOF. I shot one with the C 17-35 and the same shot with the 16-35 Canon.

Will develop pics right now ... stay tuned.

(Focus confirmation is retained BTW).

Marc, please let me know if you ever found someone to make the N/EOS adaptor. I can chip in some reasonably development cost. If that ever happens, I can save a lot of money on lenses and invest more on the body.

One more question, I have been using a custom bracket with the Q T4D flash. The weight is killing me for all day event. Do you think I can get by just using the 550/580EX without a bracket. With the hi-ISO performance in the new Canon dSLR, I kind of think it is do-able, except for outdoor hi-contrast scene.

AL.

Okay, here's the scoop, 2 issues with using N lenses on an EOS body:

1) While the N lenses have aperture rings, they are controlled electronically. So, they can not be stopped down. It's wide open or nothing.

2) Not sure infinity focus can be achieved. I got it on the 17-35 @ 2.8, but W/As lenses have tremendous DOF which may account for achieving it with the 17-35 and not with the 85/1.4 @ 1.4

I shot a scene with the 1DsMKII and a Canon 16-35/2.8 @ 2.8 using manual metering, Then removed the lens and held the Contax 17-35/2.8 in the EOS mount. It worked.

The results tended to favor the Canon zoom which looked sharper upon 200% enlargement. Not particularly surprising as some Japanese brands give precedence to sharpness over other qualities. I've tested my Leica M lenses in the same manner and found similar results. What interests me about this is whether the typical digital "cut out" edge sharpness is relieved by this or not.

Here's a shot of my messy house as we get ready for the Holiday
using the Contax 17-35/2.8 on the 1DsMKII...

299691.jpg

Back