DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Getting all the detail from a negative

G

Some of my negatives can have over 140 lp/mm of resolved detail, and that doesn't even count the unresolved but visible (under a microscope) "overtones". I'm wondering whether any of you know of a way to capture all this in a scan. I understand that some drum scanners can go to at least 8k ppi, but does anyone do this? If so, could the adjusted file then be written to a large-format negative, or directly to a print?

Thanks for any pointers,
Dan

A hi res drum scan would be the way to go, and most pro labs still have drum scanners. Here is a link to BayPhoto in the San Francisco area for a point of reference.

If you look at their table, a 4x5 piece of film scanned at 3100 dpi would produce a 1Gb file capable of a 48" x 60" print at 300 dpi!

To answer your last question, a tiff file would be created which can then be used to print from (and any additional editing could be applied to).

Try "Googling" "resolution of film". You will find a lot of info.

Regards,
Michael

Back