DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Two More Bodies Will Be Announced in 2023

That is sad when they are available by other camera brands and I really want to stay with Nikon given my investment in lenses, cameras, etc.

There are likely prototypes of a Z8 and a possible other camera being tested and evaluated as of now.

A current rumour is a pro grade DX body possibly to be the Z 90 with 33 MP and Z9 AF.

If this becomes reality it will have more MP than the 19.5 of a Z7 cropped to DX format.
It should also put more AF points on a subject with a greater AF point density than cropping 45 MP to DX format.

When Nikon DSLR's were 36 MP for the D810 and 24 MP for the D500 I found being able to put more MP on a subject when I did not have a longer lens for FX to be an advantage.

Until Nikon provide development announcements and then specifications there is no certainty about whatever is to come next

Well the rumour mill just grinds on and on. It is pure speculation that Nikon will "only" release 2 FX bodies this year - it may or it may release 3, 4 bodies or more.

The expectation is that Nikon will flow down Z9 tech into other bodies and since Nikon is in the business of making camera bodies and glass I am sure these will happen

I hope these are: a 45.7 mp Z8 and a 61mp Z7iii. Both with stacked sensors and no shutter.

Sure a tiny number of BIF shooters want a D500 replacement - ok -- but what they really seem to want is a 30+MP version that is like a Z9 without the v.grip as well so they can benefit from that 1.5 crop factor.

AND there are a very large number of shooters who only want a 20-30mp FX

Some folk want a Zf -- an FX version of the retro Zfc

AND others want updates to the 20mp Z5 and so on.....

The new one seems to be Nikon is going to make a whole new CINE body and lens line up -- not withstanding this is a deeply crowded market and Nikon has no history of serving it directly -- a few 3rd parties rehouse Nikkor lenses for use as CINE lenses AND a few other 3rd parties make Z-mount Cine lenses AND PL-mount adapters for use with Z-mount bodies (like the Z9).

I am sure all will have their wants and wishes met over time. But perhaps not the D500 shooters though...... no real compelling business case. Given a price of 3.5-4k

So why not just wait to see what Nikon does rather than just repeat what Peter and others (how2Fly et al) just make up (SORRY QUOTE FROM THEIR SOURCES).

I, like probably every other bird photographer out there, would probably be very interested in a pro quality, mirrorless, crop sensor camera to replace the D500. One issue would be the availability of Z DX lenses as I think Nikon currently only offers 4 of them.

There again, I’m absolutely satisfied with my current D500/500 PF combination and I’d probably buy a second, low shutter count D500 body before I’d switch to mirrorless. Bird eye AF might tempt me though.

I wonder why they wait so long to release such a model. The D500 was a bestseller. It is a no brainer to offer this in Z mount.

Maybe this is because of parts they need for it and they prefer to use them in more expensive models until the delivery crisis is over.
A D500-like body will probably need a new-to-Nikon sensor, essentially a DX-size version of the Z9 sensor (something that can go as fast as the Z9 sensor). That may take some development time and hasn't been a priority when Nikon was trying to establish the FX product line, all the way up to the Z9.

Plus, I think Nikon has always been conflicted about high performing DX products. Remember the D500 took forever for Nikon to deliver (as an upgrade to the D300) as they kept releasing more and more FX bodies while we were all waiting for a D300 upgrade. While we see the D500 as a successful product (it certainly filled a market segment need), it was never clear to me if Nikon thought it was really a successful product. I think they're always conflicted about DX products that might keep a buyer from buying FX. Not quite sure why, but it always feels that way.

I, for one, would love a D500 version in a mirrorless camera format. I still use my Nikon D500 with a Nikon 500PF lens too and it is a great combo. As I have had the camera for 7 years and it has a high shutter count and I have had no issues with it, I have wondered if I should purchase a replacement body in case it conks out at some point. And then I am afraid if I do that, what would be the possibility of getting repairs on an older camera no longer in production. There are so many birders/wildlife photographers that would love a model like this, I am surprised that they have not come out with one. I have a Nikon Z6ii for landscape and I love it for that purpose but I like to have a camera strictly for birding so I am not constantly changing lenses.

One apparently will be the Z8, which of course will make a lot of people happy.

The other one? I personally think it will be a compact FX body, like the Sony A7c. And I'd happily own one of those.

Any other thoughts about the second body?
I am still in the minority who are very skeptical about the Z8 existence.
The two new ML models could be the Z6III and Z7III,

I am still in the minority who are very skeptical about the Z8 existence.
The two new ML models could be the Z6III and Z7III,
UK retailers are becoming increasingly open in suggesting a Z8 announcement early May and at least one USA retailer is openly saying new bodies are definitely coming soon.

In the UK and USA Z6/7II are being heavily promoted possibly indicating a warehouse clearance ready for new products.

While we have to wait for whatever is coming, "something big" seems to be coming soon.

There are likely prototypes of a Z8 and a possible other camera being tested and evaluated as of now.

A current rumour is a pro grade DX body possibly to be the Z 90 with 33 MP and Z9 AF.

So what exactly is the Z8? Does anyone really know, or it is all just wishful thinking at this point?

I was all set to get a Z7 II, especially at the discounted prices, until a little birdie warned me that this was a clearance price. As often as I upgrade my camera body I'll just wait a bit right now.

Is the pro grade DX body the Z8? Or something in between the Z7 II and the Z9? (purely my own guess.)

Back