DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax N1

> Hi Kris,

I posted a query about this exact thing. I have the FX-1 screen, and using the AF, I notice that according to the split image, the focus is off by a fraction. As it is going to be difficult for me to get the camera and lens back to Contax in UK for recalibration, I have begun using the camera in Manual Focus mode, using the Focus button to use AF when I want to, especially to get me "into the area" quickly, and then, if I have time, to fine-tune the focus more exactly with the manual focus ring. It may not be ideal, but I can live with this for now. I suppose the real question is, should I have to live with it ? Robin

You should NOT live with it! A $1000 camera should be PERFECT (Any new camera for that mater). Contax must fix all their sloppy N1 gear. The more they realize there are problems the more likely they will be to get their act in gear and fix this stuff BEFORE it gets to the customer and not after.

> I posted a query about this exact thing. I have the FX-1 screen, and > using the AF, I notice that according to the split image, the focus is > off by a fraction. As it is going to be difficult for me to get the > camera and lens back to Contax in UK for recalibration, I have begun > using the camera in Manual Focus mode, using the Focus button to use > AF when I want to, especially to get me "into the area" quickly, and > then, if I have time, to fine-tune the focus more exactly with the > manual focus ring. It may not be ideal, but I can live with this for > now. I suppose the real question is, should I have to live with it ? > Robin

>Hi Antoine, I have a new Contax Cable switch, 30cm. It is new, never used. Original box and directions, but they are shopworn. This is for the original RTS, and has a connector that looks like a PC connector. I will send it, postage included, for $15. if in the USA. You may e-mail me at mectbc@juno.com. Yours truly, Tom Chin

can anyone please explain why N1 is not a "professional " camera like RTSIII?

"can anyone please explain why N1 is not a "professional " camera like RTSIII?"

Hi Albert,

there differences between the Top line "professional" Contax camera and a mid level Contax camera are always found in details.

First there is the build quality. The N1 has a very good one, but in my opinion not enough for the extreme usage of the professional photographer. The RTSIII is build like a rock. Even if a top N-body will not be build like a RTS III anymore, it will be something like a Nikon F100 et alii.

Then you have all the small difference in features i.e. the mirror lock up. The n1 has one but only via selftimer. A truly professional model will have a normal mirror lock up like all RTS models in the past.

Autofocus would be faster, higher speed of motordrive, maybe a vacuum system, etc. Basically it has to have at least all features of the RTS III plus some more which become in the meantime standard in the pro line of the competition. This might advanced flash system, different batteries, digital back optional etc. you name it.

And definitely a higher price
sad.gif

FYI

I scanned the N1 broshure and uploaded it in the Scan/Download section on this site. I hope that is helping some of you who are in a buying decision, especially now at the photokina.

Enjoy it

Dirk

Hi, dear.

Are the square and d&-proof ability of the Contax N1 which degree?

I am thinking of buying an N1/NX system. A major drawback seems to be availability of accessories especially third party. But I can't find anything that feels like the N1. I am not accustomed to using autofocus so the dual focus of the N1 is appealing (Maybe it is something I'll just have to get used to). I am an amateur/Semi-pro trying to make the move to Pro and am trying to build a good system that I can rely on 24/7. I am kind of a purist-to-a-fault as I use allot of manual only cameras, (Pentax 6x7, 4x5's, old Zeiss Contaflex's) and am kind of dragging one part of myself Kicking-and-screaming into the modern world.

Please somebody help me with a good discussion on cameras that don't have allot of useless features and that I wont have to fight with to get command of the image making process.

I am posting this here becaus the N1 is the best I've found so far although is very pricey.

Does anyone offer a Polaroid back for the N1?

> If you want the quality of lens needed by a pro shooter, the Zeiss range > will suit you well. IMO, the N1 is very nearly a pro body but still lacks > some things i.e. a proper Mirror Lock-up. In use however it is very > satisfying, and I have got used to using it as a manual camera with AF > assist. Fit the FX-1 screen, set the camera to Manual Focus, and use the > Focus button to give you instant AF to get you into the ball park. From > there, you can adjust the focus manually by turning the lens barrel. It > makes a really fine-tuning combination. There is nothing on the camera > that is unnecessary, and there is everything else (see above re MLU) that > you need. So far, I haven't heard of a Polaroid back. You still have to weigh up the sort of pictures you will want to shoot as a pro. If any of them involve sports, journalism or wildlife, go for what the "Pack" use, either Canon or Nikon. If it will be "Fine Art", go for the Zeiss lenses in any Contax system, manual or AF. Hope this helps. Robin

Robin
Thanks so much! That was a confirmation for me because I am not anticipating any sports or wildlife work etc. Mostly portrait and Fine art. I agree with you I will probably want to use the AF as you stated exept in extreme circumstanses. Seems like a perfect fit for me. I've thought a little about the RTSIII but think the auto focus of the N1 is something I'm going to want at those extreme times.
At the moment I am using a Pentax 6x7 for studio type stuff or when I have time to fuss over technical aspects anyway. So the N1 will be my aim and fire type system when I need that.

Thanks again for your reply
Kevin

Back