DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax N Lenses vs Canon L Lenses

Contax and Zeiss SLR gear are not a "light weight" decision. Then again, either are most SLRs. I may not be 75 years of age, but I feel that way after a 10 hour wedding carting around just about any pro level SLR system.

Perhaps an Aria and a few select zooms would work for what you like to shoot. Were it me and I were shooting the list you outlined, I'd just take a Leica M and 3 lenses max, or a 90 and TriElmar ... since this is a Contax forum substitute a G camera and a few lenses. Just a thought. Weight verses quality of image would not be in question that way... since both are well established features of these rangefinder systems.

Hello again Ken, You mention that you really like your RX, so it is good that you have a body selected that really suits you. How about picking up one or two lenses as a time, and see if they cover most of your shooting. Then if you find a gap, pick up another of a different focal length? It's always nice for me to just buy one lens as a time and really get to know it before adding another. Otherwise I tend to look at a bag full of lenses and debate too much about which one I want with me. Of course, that might just be an idiosychrasy of my own.

For the shooting you do, maybe a 50, 85 (2.8) and 135 would fill out your requirements. You could start with the 50 and 135 and see if this fills your needs. None are very expensive or large. I use a 50 for general shooting very often, especially when walking around in small towns. (I have the 50/1.7 and have never lusted for the 1.4) The 135 is nice for isolating elements, flowers, buildings, etc, and also nice for portraits without having to get in too close to the subject. (Those independent Farmers might be more comfortable being photographed at a distance than close up with an 85.) I wouldn't recommend the 28-85 zoom, only because it is a large heavy piece of glass that I found too unwieldy for everyday use. Otherwise, optically I liked it. I'm not a wide angle sort of person, you may have different thoughts about these suggestions. I tend to like teles the best of all.

I hope this might give some food for thought
happy.gif
Best of luck! -Lynn L.

I agree with Lynn about the 50mm. I think it's an underated and underused length. I have started using the 45 on my G2 again as it's a good general purpose sort of lens. 50 is similar.
John

Ken:

I also like the 50mm lens, I like it for perspective, landscape, size, weight, image size, and it is easy to carry. I also like for 100mm 90mm portraits. All things considered perhaps a G2 with a 45mm and 90mm will meet all of your needs. Also, with a rebate of $650.00 for a G2, 45mm, flash. and 90mm is hard to pass up.

P.S. mine fits snugly in a small Bellingham Pola bag which also lends itself to being used.

Regards

Gilbert

Hi Folks. Many thanks for your thoughts, and suggestions, the ball is clearly in my court, as from now on. Thanks once again.
Regards Ken.T.

Hi Ken,

I have made equal experiences (other brands than you) and came back to Contax-film gear. I have been convinced by the 2.8/28 which is a MUST HAVE for me. Additionally use a 50mm Planar and the 2.8/135. The 2.8/35 is also very good but I don't need the additional 35 between 28 and 50mm. I have a teleconverter too for the long end (seldom used) and for the ultra-wide a cheap Vivitar 19mm (much better than the Tokina 17mm ! - at least my copy).

When going out with only the 3 Zeiss-lenses (I have the 137 MA which I like very much - the RX is too expensive here for me) I have far less weight than with any Zoom-lens kit. (Having Tamron, Tokina and Vivitar lenses so I know a lot of these manufacturers and according to my experiences the Tamrons are the best of them : SP28-80, 35-135) This set is not only lightweight but also very good optically and you can handhold the shots much better, the camera is much better to carry ....

Good luck with your Contax/Zeiss equipment !

Paul

Ken,

How about Contax Aria with Planar 50mm f/1.4 as a primary go-around-shooting-unshaved-farmers-and-other-things lens, Distagon 28mm f/2.8 when you need wider angle, Sonnar 85mm f/2.8 when you need more or-less good lens for portraiture and Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 with Contax Mutar III 1.4 when you need long to very long telephoto? All these lenses are very light and you can possibly haul around Aria with one lens attached and another lens in the pouch or small bag all the time with you. And if you want faster lenses - just add Planar 85mm f/1.4 to it and maybe Distagon 35mm f/1.4. That is, if the budget, style and physical fitness permits.

This is more or less setup that I got and I absolutely love it for its portability. I carry two lenses, flash + bounce card, remote release cable, microfiber cloth, brush, blower, filters, extra batteries for camera and flash, one or two extra rolls of film, few more small items in one Lowepro photobag on my shoulder. Aria with one lens attached in C-6 case with strap over the neck. Pretty neat combo I think. Although I'm not sure I will want to do that when I'm 75. In this case I would probably recommend one body + one lens kind of deal. Preferably optically fast lens. Such as Distagon 35mm f/1.4 or Planar 50mm f/1.4 or maybe even Planar 85mm f/1.4 (although I wouldn't think of using it as all-around kind of lens).

Do you have any professional photo store close to you where you can rent some of these items? If so, it might be a good idea to try it first, to see if it will work for you.

Good luck!

Mike.

Hi Ken T.,

I am sure by now you must have pretty much made up your mind on your lens selection. I would just like to add my little comments since I find my own setup quite compact and satisfies almost all my needs. I have the 21/2.8, 28/2.8, 50/1.4 and the VS 80-200/4 along with an Aria body.

Personally I like the 21/2.8 a lot because for landscape pictures, I find the dramatic perspective given by the ultrawide is always very unique and pleasant. On the other hand, it is quite heavy and if weight is really a concern, you may consider going with the standard, 35/2.8 and 25/2.8.

The VS 80-200, in my opinion, is lightweight and offers the versatility one needs to shoot portraits. I just cannot imagine the farmers you talked about would be willing to pose for you and with the zoom, I believe it would be much easier for you to frame effectively.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck and please let all of us know what your final decision is.

Regards,
Ken Lo

Back