DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Metz 54 MZ3 v TL360

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with experience with both the Metz 54 MZ-3 and the TL360. When I traded in my Nikon kit for my N1 kit back in January, my dealer talked me into getting the Metz 54 MZ-3 instead of the TL360. I've been less than thrilled with the Metz -- both generally and with respect to the TTL -- particularly compared to the results I used to get with the Nikon SB-28. I understand that the TL360 and SB-28 are manufactured by the same vendor and essentially contain the same guts. Before I make a switch, however, I wanted to see what people's comparative experience has been.

Which Nikon camera you used to own? Because technically, I highly doubt that you're having "issues" with Metz 54 MZ-3. I don't believe TLA360 would be a better choice, because simply put, Contax N1's TTL flash control is far behind Nikon/Canon systems. That's why you're probably not too happy with results of your flash photography with Contax and Metz.

I own Metz 54 MZ-3 and bought primarily because I like controls (can't be any easier than that), quality, multiple TTL sync modules for different cameras, fast recharge times and extensive line of accessories. I have modules for Contax and Pentax, and thus can use the same flash on both systems. I used it on Contax N1, Aria and Pentax PZ-1P. With all three, I enjoy the results most if I make my shots with bounce adapter and 1/125 sec (and not 1/250sec!), because then I get a nice mix of ambient and flash light. Pop in NPS160 and you will probably like results even more.

Thinking about selling Metz 54 MZ-3 and getting TLA360? Rent it first, shoot entire roll, develop it and compare to what you get with Metz. Chances are, you won't see any difference and save money on switching it.

Also, there is a name and good engineering team behind Metz. And there is lots of hot marketing air behind TLA360.

Just my 2 all-american cents
happy.gif

Hope it helps and if it doesn't - discard the message into a pile of useless email.

Mike.

I'm using 54MZ-3 and NX, and have had no problem at all. I'm quite happy with the results, especially with respect to TTL, as I always use 54MZ-3 in TTL mode.

I don't know what problems you had with 54MZ-3, but make sure to check out TLA360 before you commit yourself to it. Also verify that your SCA-3802 is the latest version. There are reports that the older version of SCA-3802 may have compatibility issues with N1 and NX.

That's actually interesting (about SCA-3802). I have one that is over 2 years old and never had any problems at all. So, it would be quite difficult to come across old version of SCA3802 in any stores, unless it's a second hand item or that store never sold any Metz equipment in over 2 years and it's an old stock (that would be really weird though).

Steve, is yours a new equipment or used when you got it from a dealer?

Mike.

Hello to everyone,

I have a 54MZ3 and have changed the sca adapter from a 380 to a 3802. I did not recieve any instructions with the 3802 and would like to know what the switches behind the panel relate to. I have a rough idea but would appreciate the full explanation. I have looked on the net and haven't found any help there. Maybe someone else has and can point me in the right direction.

Regards,

Paul

Paul,

I have 54MZ-3 with SCA 3802 that I use on my Contax aria. Which switches are you talking about? I have small manual for SCA 3802 somewhere, I may be able to scan it and send you a copy or perhaps let Dirk add it to common area.

Remind me to check on this - send me private message
happy.gif

Back