DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Do I Need A TLA 200 Flash

Hi,

Firstly, if you set 'X' on the camera and 'M' on the flash then the camera defaults to its flash setting of 1/60 and I believe that the TTL function is switched off. You have to resort to manual calculations.

If you simply switch to AE Mode on the camera and 'TTL' on the flash the camera will still default to 1/60 while ever the flash is switched on and charged. I believe that in this case the camera will meter the exposure providing that the subject to flash distance being within the flash range.

By switching to A/E mode and operating the Exposure Lock the TTL meter will correctly adjust the flash whilst also giving optimum ambient exposure for whatever aperture you select.

However, if you set too wide an aperture for the film speed & light levels you experience, the camera may set too high a shutter speed (faster than 1/60) and result in uneven exposure.

The formulae for flash is simple: Take the GN (Guide Number) of your flash - for a TLA200 it is a GN of 20 when using 100 iso film and divide by the aperture to get the optimum flash to subject distance in metres. Conversely divide the GN by the subject distance to get the optimum aperture.

Hope that helps,

Clive

~A, you set the camera to Auto and set the aperture as you please. However, you should take account of the little "Gantt" diagram on the top of the flash to see what is possible. The X setting is purely for non-Contax flash units. Chris

Clive,

just for interest, the G2 performs better than the G1:
X is 1/200 and auto-sync is anything between 1/60 and 1/200, automatically adjusted to capture most of ambient light.

Till

Thanks for that Till,

I had assumed incorrectly that they were the same.

Clive

Has anyone attempted to use the (relatively new model) Nikon SB-30 Speedlight with a G2? I've recently purchased one to cure red-eye problems I've had with a digital CoolPix and wonder how it might function on a G2. The cigarette pack sized SB-30, at about $75 new, provides a lot of bang for the money: GN 52, covers down to 17mm, TTL, Auto, Manual, wireless, 250 flashes per CR123 battery (uses one), ±1/2 EV, standby mode. Safe to assume that, because an SB-27 will work (noted above), an SB-30 will, too?
DGA

When people mention that the SB- series flashes works in A and M mode - does this mean the settings on the flash and not the camera itself?

So basically all it does is triggers the flash to fire at whatever setting is on the flash. This should work with any flash since it is only triggered by the middle sync connector. YMMV -

The key is no TTL without a flash built specifically to adapt to the contax system. Otherwise 90% of the flashes on the market will work for basic flash synch.

Hello everyone. At the risk of seeming insane, I'd like to pose a question. I sold my TLA 200, shot a roll of Provia 400 pushed a stop last week and realized there were just some things I couldn't do without fill flash. (I was shooting some friends for a kind of brochure/slide show for their organization in their workplaces etc., and even though the G1 metered superbly I screwed up by not having a flash and now have to re-shoot). So I bought another TLA 200 knowing from my previous experience that it basically blasts everything out of the room. How do I tone it down for simple fill work? The manual virtually says nothing. I also like the TLA's size etc. and would rather deal with it than fuss with a Metz or anything else in order to have true TTL. Is the solution to just close down a stop beyond what the chart says? I'd really appreciate it if somebody could just explain it to me ABC. Thanks in advance. By the way (Dirk, I know you don't want solicitation on the site so I'll offer it privately if that's okay with you), I did pick it up from a decent gray market importer in New York on the web for a very good price! They tend to try to do a bait-and-switch kind of thing but if you're firm with them they stick to what they advertise. I can let anyone who's interested know privately.

Dino,

When shooting with the 90mm lense on my G2 for flash fill outdoors, I set the TLA 200 to the setting for the 45mm lense and the pictures turned out great. On the same roll, I left the setting as it should have been for the 90mm lense, at 90, and these images were blown out.
Let me know how this works for you.

Reagards,
John

> For fill flash you should be able to do a standard meter reading with the flash off. Set to AEL (to lock the exposure). Then use your EC dial to compensate down -1 or -2 depending on how much fill you want. Be sure that your shutter speed does not exceed 1/250th of a second ) highest shutter sync for G2.

michael.

> Slight correction: Be sure to turn your flash back on after locking in exposure!

For fill flash you should be able to do a standard meter reading with the flash off. Set to AEL (to lock the exposure). TURN YOUR FLASH BACK ON!

Then use your EC dial to compensate down -1 or -2 depending on how much fill you want. Be sure that your shutter speed does not exceed 1/250th of a > second ) highest shutter sync for G2

Back