CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Zeiss and Canon 10D

R

Round_lake

Hello,
Has anyone tried Zeiss lenses on the Canon 10D using the adapter found on
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
If so, what can you tell us about the combination. Here's the link:

K

keyboard

Yes, this is also what I want to know. I found that some Taiwanese use Zeiss lenes on the Canon 300D and adaption is very well because of the improvement of 300D.

R

Round_lake

Here's an update regarding the C/Y adapter for the 10D.
This is from Stephen Gandy in two emails I received.

______
the adapter attaches to the lens, no set screw

the lens must be removed to remove the adapter
while you can change the adapter for each lens, you will lose some shots

better to have one adapter for each lens if you want to shoot quickly

Thanks,

Stephen

______

Apparently the are no electrical connections made, no Depth of field preview, and works in stop down mode. He recommends an adapter for each lens. That's $175 for each lens which could get costly!

The Zeiss lenses are fantastic, but I 'm begining to think that's it's not worth the cost to use on the 10D. From what I've read only some of the Canon lenses could compare to the reproduction quality of Zeiss, and that leaves me hesitating to jump into Canon.

Man I wish Contax hadn't fallen down with their digital SLR. But you know as soon as we make a decision to purchase another manufacturer's digital SLR, Contax will arrive on the scene with a camera that can use our manual focus lenses!!

RickM

cx_me

Seem very costly. Why design in such a way ?
Anyone know why lense must be removed before removing the adapter ? How hard is it to remove the adapter ?

thks

letushka

Guys, I'm not sure that Contax is thinking of producing T-mount digital SLR camera similar
to Aria. I think that they want everybody
to switch to this stupid N-mount???

bobbytan

Hi everyone!

I have used the Bob Shell and CameraQuest adaptors. They both work, but they are not perfect. With both adaptors, there is some slack - free play or movement of the lens when it is on the camera body i.e. it is not a snug/tight fit. With the Bob Shell adaptor, you have to screw it into the lens, which makes it extremely troublesome to attach and detach the adaptor. With the CameraQuest adaptor (which cost more) the locking pin does not lock the adaptor securely in place, so there is a risk that you may accidentally twist the lens off! You can also get a Zork adaptor, but they are a lot more expensive.

Is it worth the expense and the hassle? The short answer IMO is No. You will have to manually focus and meter/stop down the lens, so it takes a bit of time and getting used to. I have found the Zeiss lenses to have slightly better color balance, but some of the Canon lenses are really good (very sharp and contrasty) and the auto-focus and auto-metering works really well. However, if you already own some nice Zeiss lenses and don’t want to spend your money buying more/Canon lenses, then you should get the CameraQuest adaptor (as it’s quite easy to use it on different lenses) and try it for yourself.

I sold off my 2 Bob Shell adaptors but I am keeping my CameraQuest adaptor so I can still use my 2 favorite Zeiss lenses … the Distagon 21mm/2.8 and Planar 85mm/1.4. I am selling my Distagon 28mm/2.0. If you wish to see some of the pictures I took with my Zeiss lenses on the Canon 10D, please click on this link:

If you wish to see the pictures I took with my Canon lenses, please click on this link:

Cheers!

coyot

>Hi Bob,

I looked at your link and was very impressed w/ the shots w/ the CZ glass. Reminded me of Kodachrome slides. My question: The shots look very saturated. Is this a function of the Canon camera, the CZ glass, or post processing in Photoshop. Do you have any s&es using flash and a model????

Thanks,

Michael.

albert4321

Bob, Thanks for sharing the adaptors info and your wonderful images. With your eye of composition, it really does not matter what lenses you use.

The 17-40 L glass appears to be very nice lens. I was told it seems to be better than the 16-35 L lens with half the cost (unless you need the extra f stop.)

Does anyone know if there is Zeiss N lenes adapter for the Canon body?

Albert.

coyot

> Albert, that is a great question and one that I have asked before ... does anybody know if the N-series Carl Zeiss lenses will fit on any other manufacturer's bodies via a custom lense adapter?

Thanks,

Michael.

bobbytan

Hello Michael and Albert

Thanks for your compliments. The nice colors comes from both the CZ glass and post-processing ... and the quality of Canon's CMOS/Digic sensor/processor. I did a very simple side-by-side test with a Canon lens and found the images to be very close ... but the winner is still the CZ glass - the colors are kind of more creamy and well balanced. I asked my colleague (a Leica freak!) if he can tell the difference, and if he can pick the Zeiss image from the two 13 x 19" prints ... and he picked the CZ image without having to look very hard at all!

The Canon images are great too - lots of colors - but just a tad too contrasty I think. No, I have not taken any flash/portrait pictures with the CZ.

As far as I am aware, there is no N-mount/EOS adaptor, but try the following 2 web sites. You can also email Zoerk to ask them:

Good Luck!
Bobby

albert4321

Hi Bobby, Thanks for the links. Zoerk site does listed Contax N mount and Contax 645 mount in their product line. I bet they will fit into the Canon body. If Contax does not offer a new dSLR, EOS 1Ds is not an bad option for me.

Albert.

stan_parry

You all are so knowledgeable about different mount adapters. Does anyone know how I can change my Contax Mount Schneider PC SuperAngulon Shift lens to a Contax N Mount? Also is there any news as to Yashica or Kyocera's digital SLR at Photokina?

Thanks, Stan

bobbytan

Stan - you should check with Zoerk.

And all you guys out there may want to check out this thread on FM Forum ... about Zeiss lenses on a Canon 10D:

Bobby

emmawelsh

I received this reply yesterday from Zoerk in connection with the possibility of an N mount for EOS bodies, similar to their C/Y to EOS adaptor. They said:
-----------------------------
1. Contax N lenses need an electronic device for handling their diaphragm. In this case and in case of their big diameter of the lens bayonet (it can not stick inside the EOS camera bayonet mount) the possible adpter ring must be thicker than 3,5mm and infinity focusing is loosing. Fot Contax RTL , Nikon and Leica R lenses we make adapters for EOS cameras.
----------------------------------
Looks like some major jiggery-pokery would be required.

barry_yam

Hi Everybody,

I have 4 CZ MM Mount lenses (25/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 100/f2, 80-200/f4) and a RXII. As you know, the production of RXII has been stopped. I'm considering a 2nd body with mirror lock-up but the RTS III is just too expensive for me and I've learnt here that the MM mount lenses can be used on EOS bodies by using an adapter. The EOS 3 seems a logical choice but I still have a few questions about using an adapter :

1) Can I see the aperture value of my CZ lenses through the viewfinder of EOS body?

2) Can the 18/f4 and 100-300/4-5.6 lenses be used with the EOSs?

3) Is the CY-EOS adapter from Zoerk the best? How much does it cost?

Barry.

deshojo

Barry,

1) No, there is no aperture information displayed (and it is manual stop-down).

2) Yes (I use the 100-300mm myself).

3) Sorry, don't know. I use the Cameraquest adapter and have found it to be well constructed, easy to use and reliable.

Cheers,
Matt.