DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax Aria and Telephoto Lenses

S

spluff

Hi,

Does anybody have experience of using an Aria with a telephoto lens - say from 180mm upwards?

My question concerns the handling abilities of the Aria with the larger lenses; I'm looking for a telephoto around the 180mm - 200mm range. The use would be mainly for landscapes.

I have an 85mm F2.8 and I'm wondering if I use the Mutar I, would this be a better combination in terms of handling?

Any thoughts would be appreciated and thanks in advance for your assistance.

Cheers, Saras

Hi Saras

I use my 80-200 with Aria. At first I thought it would be to unbalanced, but during a trip to Thailand, it just worked fine. I tried a 200/3.5 but that was simply too bulky. The 80-200 is a very sharp and versatile lens. When I bought it I compared it to 100/2 and 180/2.8 which I possed then, and I really think it can compete.
I also own the 100/3.5 for citywalks, and naturally this is a more balanced option then then 80-200. I would look for a 200/4, if I just wanted one fixed focal telephoto lens, its small, light and rare.

Regards

Ole

www.photos4u.dk

Hi saras,
You said you're interested in the Aria in combination with a long lens. I suggest that you look into using a monopod. I could'nt hold a 180 steady without one, nor could I keep the viewfinder to my eye for minutes on end waiting for either good expression or a clear view or an unmoving subject. The 180 is heavy. I also carry the camera around with the pod attached, resting on my shoulder. Looks different, but seems lighter than trying to use a bag for lens and body. Having the cam on a pod makes for a fairly quick setup, if you want to take a spur of the moment shot.
wanda

....My question concerns the handling abilities of the Aria with the larger lenses; I'm looking for a telephoto around the 180mm - 200mm range. The use would be mainly for landscapes....

You said your intended use was for landscapes, wouldn't you be using a tripod anyway? If not, you really should consider at least a lightweight tripod, possibly with a quick release adapter. It's not much bulkier than a monopod and a QR adapter is one of those things you can never be without once you've tried it.

David

Hi Wanda & David,

I was going to take a tripod and/or monopod with me - and that would certainly help. Occasionally, though I might want to hand-hold for candids etc.

Ole, thanks for your advice on the 200/F4 - in fact it was such good advice, I've managed to locate a mint one and have ordered it!! Other posts in this forum recommended this lens and Dirk's lens spreadsheet showed it had a weight of around 550g - which is not too bad!!

Thanks once again to all for your help!!

Best rgds, Saras

A bit off topic, but I have to say the website of Ole Bo Jensen (www.photos4u.dk) is not to be missed. As someone who likes good photography and good web design, I am impressed by both here.

David

David,

I agree, the web-site is ace.

Ole, congratualtions - I'm enjoying going through all your images.

Cheers, Saras

Dirk,
Have you ever thought about putting together a contaxinfo.com book of photos?

If the costs are shared it might be a nice way for some of us to be in print, and maybe contax would sponser the book in some way.

Ole would sure have a lots of photos good enough to go in, but I don't know about me!

Only an idea.

David Beetham

Hi Saras

Congrats on the new investment. Could I be nosy enough to ask what price you had to pay for the 200/4, as I have been bitting on some on EBAY.

And thanks, everybody, for the nice words about my photos and my site.

Regards

Ole

Hi David,

we thought about this also. Something like a yearly Contax photo book of the Contaxinfo.com community. Similar to the Japanese Contax Club editions.

But we need some time to discus this with Kyocera. If their attention is more towards Contax again, this might be something nice to start with
happy.gif

I think the costs are too high for doing it alone without sponsorship at the moment. If every member here would pay a yearly fee like in a club-membership, this would be possible. Like a club-book of Contaxinfo with Contax photos and some nice editorial work additionally.

But we keep this in mind. All depends on the support of the members. We are open for any kind of proposals as long as it can be financed somehow.

Back