DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Toronto Ontario

I live in the Beach area in Toronto. I am planning to buy a 10D next month - assuming they are still making them. What do you plan to do with your 10D

> well, i still have to get used to the D10 (it's alot more camera then my ELAN 7E) but i do some nude/pinup photography, architecture, abstract etc. i'am used to working exclusively in black and white, so i'll have to do some PS experimenting as well. i heard the same rumour that they are discontinuing the D10, but i can't realistically see them doing something like that until at least late this year, when i can see them modifying some things (perhaps the persistent AF problems people keep mentioning) the beaches area is a great place for photography, i'm sure you'll get alot of use out of it

Kevin, I may be selling my 10D soon to help fund another 1Ds. The camera is currently used as a back-up to my main 1Ds camera. It focuses perfectly and is mint due to being a back-up camera. I also have the power grip, grip strap, 4 batteries, and a 420EX flash.

If interested contact me at: fotografz@comcast.net

Jeff

From what I have seen on other sites like Photo.net and Fredmiranda.com I think that the 10D will be an awesome camera for portraits, nudes and abstracts. I have seen some really great b&w images based on 10D capture. I highly recommend the Photoshop book for digital photographers by Scott Kelby. It has lots of greyscale conversion advice including how to use the channel mixer to convert a colour image to what the author calls the Ansel Adams effect.

Let me know if you want me to describe the approach in more detail.

Kevin

> yeah, it's like learning to use a camera all over again. the thing with the ELAN 7E, is that you could mostly just put it into automatic and let it do the thinking for you, where with the D10, it's in your best interest to work manually to get the best results.

> wow, that's pretty impressive. it's that kind of photography that makes the argument between "film or digital" more difficult to decide. there's an ongoing discussion regarding the 10D's focusing capabilities, where some people are claiming that no matter what they do, the focus is always soft, but considering that guys photo's, it makes you wonder.

Jeff You have a 10D to do the testing with but I have studied 100's of 10D photos on the web and I am sure that the only focus "problems" are intentional. I have seen plenty of shots that appear pin sharp to me. In addition, I have seen several camera reviewer types imply, or state outright, that the 10D is their everyday camera. If there was a focussing problem then why would they be using it? Kevin

This focus issue is perplexing. Hearing that after I first got my 10D I immediately checked the focus by placing it on a tripod with a 85/1.2 wide open @ f/1.2. and used a cable release. If there were ANY focus issues they would show up immediately using a medium telephoto at that aperture. The depth of field at the closest focusing distance is VERY narrow.

I used a ruler on a 45 degree diagonal away from the camera , which was also placed level with the camera, (also bubble leveled). I then focused on the 6 inch mark of the ruler. I used Auto focus and Manual focus. The A/F was absolutely dead on. And most of my manual focused ones were also on (I have bad eyes, so a few were off a little bit) But EVERY A/F shot was perfect. This has been born out in shooting weddings with all the fast lenses: (24/1.4L, 35/1.4L, 50/1.4, 85/1.2, 100/2.8 Macro, 135/2L, and 70-200/2.8 L IS. I use the fast long lenses wide open all the time, and focus on the eyes of the subject which are always dead on focus with the 10D.

Perhaps many folks don't know how to control the A/F placement, or some of the 10Ds were faulty, or people don't realize all digital SLR images need to be sharpened after shooting.

I think it may be that many beginners got this camera and do not understand how depth of field works. Most P&S cameras are preset at a very deep DOF, so all the images are always sharp looking. Not so if you use f/2.8 up close.

Just a few thoughts on the subject.

Back