Zeiss Contax 55mm lens

G

Recently someone was asking about the discontinued 55mm Contax lens. I saw a new one here in Palo Alto California for $5900 USD. If interested I can give you more information. I am just a customer and don't actually buy much from the store in question. I think the list price is about $7500.

G

I believe you are talking about the Planar T* 55/1,2 70 years Special Edition (or 60 years?). This was a limited production lens, highly collectible. I have seen few reviews of it, but they were all raving. However, I think 5900 US$ is way too much. For that price, you can get a N-Digital or a Tele-Apotessar 300/2,8... I recently saw a 55/1,2 sell on eBay for about 3800 US$. btw: I am not sure, but maybe 2 versions exist (an AE and MM?)

Interestingly, Yashica also made a ML 55/1,2 lens quite a few years ago. It produced an important amount of vignetting in broad daylight and noticeable barrel distortion, but provided stunning low-light performance. This very rare lens can occasionnaly be found on eBay for around 500-800 US$ Good bargain compared to its Zeiss counterpart. Tried to buy one last year but was outbidded at the last minute by a Japanese enthusiast.