DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax N-System

Ken

I can understand not having exposure compensation in evaluative mode because you would never know what parts of the image were affecting the metered value (or what the camera's algorithms were doing to match the readings from the various parts of the scene with it's database of image data) in order to compensate, although you could guess. I find the option to see what the difference is between the evaluative measurement and the spot (or centre weighted, I cannot remember right now) measurement very useful as you can quickly see if backlighting or other factors are radically affecting the exposure.

Then again I almost always use spot as I predominantly use slide film, so I want to be within the 1/2 stop latitude that slide film gives me.

I am sure you will love the quality of the images that you produce. I remember getting my first roll developed and I was just amazed at the sharpness, colour and quality of the 24-85mm lens, with perfectly exposed images from the accurate N meter.

I hope you will be scanning and sharing some of your first roll for us to see :)

Simon

Simon. Nothing will give me greater pleasure than to share my results with others, sadly there is just one snag! I dont know how the hell to do it, but I shall certainly find out.
I think this is a wonderful site, in the sense that in a matter of only two days, I feel that I have known you for years,and that you only live a couple of doors away, I wish that were the case.
At the end of the day, we should all congratulate DIRK, for such a wonderful effort, Oh! yes his Wife as well, and anyone else who has helped to make this site what it is. Given time I am sure that all the subscribers, will be proud to be the owner of a CONTAX, and a member of this wonderful site.
Ken

Ah, Ken, scanners!! Now you are dabbling in the black arts. Go to any scanner list as ask which is the best for your budget and watch the fireworks, it's great fun ;-) There is probably more to getting good scanned images than taking the pictures in the first place. Seriously, scanning is great for sharing images, and especially if you see that as the next step towards the digital darkroom. If not, just get the images put onto a CD when you process them and then use those converted to jpeg format. There is a part of this web site for showing images (Photo Gallery) or if you use a MAC then use iTools and start a homepage, which is very easy to do.

I look forward to seeing some images (maybe!)

Simon

PS It is rather good here, isn't it.

...thanks for the compliments on the site. Actually the quality of the Contaxinfo.com-Forum is because of the content and the content comes from the members. I just provided the vehicle to drive with...

By the way: the current image upload section will be changed hopefully soon. There will be a totally new photo-upload and discussion part coming at Contaxinfo.com. As soon as my webhoster finished configuring an extra server for me, I will install new photo-software for this. Maybe already over the next week-end. I will try then to move the old images from this Forum into the new Contax Photo Gallery. As soon as everything is ready to go, I will send all members an e-mail.

dirk

Ken..
To add to Simon's comment about scanning. I don't have a scanner, but get my pictures put on a Kodak Photo CD as well as prints. They do a pretty decent job.. You can see the results in the photo section with my "First try for a Rookie" picture. Any flaws in that picture are due to me..NOT the photo CD
Colorado Jeff

Hi! Jeff. I have had an Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 now, for quite some time, and have made pretty good use of it, in tandem with an Epsom 1290 printer, which is capable of printing up to A3 size prints.I use the Scanner not only for my pictures, but also for my childrens family photo's.
For my personal use, I find it very good,and enjoyable, when I can control the Crop Size, Width,and Height,which I can also do in Adobe Photoshop.I can even Scan at 4000 pixels/inch, but of course this gives you a massive File Size.
With the printer I usually print at 1440 DPI for an A4 Size, and 2880 for all my A3 Size prints.
I have been quite successful at the Camera Club with the competitions,and that was using a Canon EOS3.without their L series lenses, so I am quite looking forward to producing my first pictures with my N1,and the Zeiss Lenses.
By the way Jeff I have tried to download the picture you mentioned, but got no success in the Photo Gallery, Dirk did say that it wasn't ready yet for uploading pictures, or is it me that has got it wrong. Iam pleased that you are happy with the results of your first efforts, and wish you every success, in the future.

Oops, sorry Ken, I assumed from your comment that you were not scanning yet, which you obviously are. In that case, the sharing is the easy bit as you are no doubt finding. Have you got the first N1 roll back yet?

Simon

Simon. No,I am expecting the return of my first film in the post to-morrow.There was apprently some delay in posting my first film,I gave it one of my Son's to post, and guess what, he forgot for over a week. I use Peak Imaging,in Sheffield who I think are very good. When I post a film to them for E6 processing only, either Velvia 50 or Provia 100, I usually have them back in 3 days, as I say thet is when I post them. By the way Simon what film to you prefer. I dont dislike the slower films,camera shake doesn't bother me, as every where I go the tripod, and cable release go with me. The snag with me at 74 yrs young, is the fact that I can't carry to much weight, and the old legs soon let me know when they have enough, so I try to decide what I want to photograph, and just take the one lense, to suit that requirement.
From all accounts it appears from other correspondents, that the 24-85mm is goingto get the most use, we will see.
Cheers. Ken.

Sons eh! On the subject of film, I use Ilford for black and white, mainly Delta 100, 400 and 3200, and sometimes Fuji Neopan 1600, although I prefer the look of Delta 400 pushed two stops. For colour neg, I use Supra 100, 400 & 800 and Portra 160 & 400 NC. For slide, I use Provia 100, 400 and Elitechrome EBX 100 VS.

Simon

Ken..
I guess I'll just have to sit with somebody and watch them to see how a scanner works. Once I do that, I'll be better able to decide whether to buy one. My picture is Not in the photo gallery, but rather in the PICTURE UPLOAD section of the Forum..just a couple of lines above the Photo Techical question section..
Jeff

Back