DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax N-System

Hi Dirk and gang,
I just wanted to report that my brand-new N1 has arrived, and the second roll of Elitechrome is halfway through !
Initial feelings are - it is large, but very similar in size and weight to my (now sold) EOS 3 and 28-135 IS lens, but a LOT more confidence inspiring in its build. I can see why people say that the Canon is faster for sports and reportage etc, but as a personal opinion, up to this point, I feel this is exactly the right camera for what I am doing now, and it will allow me a more considered pace of photographic life. I LOVE the manual/AF instant switch, and even with my declining eyesight, the FX-1 screen helps me to focus and tweak the AF as required. The whole solid feel of the combination (with the 24-85) gives me the feeling I used to get when hefting a Leicaflex SL Mot with all the big glass on.
Now I can't wait for the arrival of the 75-300, but first I have to find one at the right price.
But in the meantime, my thanks again to all who advised me on this camera, especially Dirk, Simon Lamb and Phil Rudge. You were right, guys.
More later. I am on tenterhooks for the first box of trannies.
Albest, Robin

Robin. Having read your message, I am pleased to see that you are happy with the N1, as I am with mine.
Could you elaborate on the FX-1 Screen please, as all the literature that I have does not include additional screens.
Cheers. Ken Taylor.

Hi Ken,
I got the tip from this forum that as the N1 is so much designed for dual-method focussing, it would help to have a split-image centre spot in addition to all the AF points. There are three screens for the N1, according to all that I have read. The FX-1 has a split-image rangefinder in the centre, and has a Custom Function, CF-19, that allows for the right exposure compensation for the screen. The FX-2 is the plain matte standard that comes with the camera, and the FX-3 is a grid on a plain matte, for helping to keep straight lines vertical. For my purposes, I would like to see a combination of the grid and the split-image, but you can't have everything, I guess. (Why not, though ?)
Once you have got into ball park range with the AF, it helps me a lot to check focus on the split-image to see if is "right on". If not, I just turn the focus ring for a last manual tweak. Then, I press the focus lock button to hold everything there, as I have found that sometimes, it all jumps back out of focus again. I think it is just one of those little foibles that make us love Contax !
The screens are easy to change, but need a delicate touch around the mirror. Full instructions come with each screen.
Good luck with the installation.
Albest, Robin.

This is Jeff..and it's me who has the new N1.

First roll of film was surprisingly very good. I don't know why I think I can hand hold a 300mm lens at full length..but I obviously can't unless it's really bright out. The macro even turned out quite good. The SECOND roll was shot completely on Manual..per the instructions from my photo class. The result??? All I can say is thank goodness for automatic cameras. I'd say on manual I hit about 50% of the shots...and even those weren't very good!!
Jeff

The N1 performed flawlessly. The problem was the idiot holding the camera!!

That's the reason I'm getting back into photography...I really want to learn the basics. I learned a lot from that roll of film shot manually. What comes naturally to you photographers is a mystery to some of the rest of us.
I'll get it..eventually

Jeff

Hi all,
I have had back the first two boxws of trannies from my N1 and 24-85, and can safely say I am delighted with the results, as far as sharpness, colour, clarity et al are concerned. Content, as always, is down to me !
I have a slight difference between the AF-focussed point, and the final manual focus point, but this is consistent, easily taken care of by the instant manual tweak, and is not a problem. If I visit UK for any reason, I will take the camera back to Contax and have it calibrated again. Meanwhile, very little focus hunting, no errors in the evaluative metering, excellent handling, and overall, very reassuring and satisfying to own and to shoot with. Down with all the Naysayers !
Albest, Robin

Hi Robin,

regarding the "nervous af" of the N1 in certain situations. It helps a lot if you choose only the AF sensor in the center, not all sensors at the same time.

If you have activated all sensors, they can catch easily the slightest movements in one of the corners, which is then forcing the AF to refocus.

dirk

Back