DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Hello Sigma fans. Q about wide angle

birket

At some point soon I will need to invest in a wide angle lens for my SDqH. I suppose the ‘obvious’ choice is the 14-24 f2.8. But it is DAMN expensive.

Other than that, what are my options? M42? Stitching photos? 14mm f1.8? Not sure I can be arsed with stitching as photo manipulation is my day job.

At some point soon I will need to invest in a wide angle lens for my SDqH. I suppose the ‘obvious’ choice is the 14-24 f2.8. But it is DAMN expensive.

Other than that, what are my options? M42? Stitching photos? 14mm f1.8? Not sure I can be arsed with stitching as photo manipulation is my day job.
This is just my personal opinion (IMHO). And everyone has their own requirements for the quality of the captured images.

I've been troubled by this question as well. I used to have the 18-35/1.8 Art, and it allows me to get pictures without vignetting when the lens hood is removed. But I sold it, because to produce acceptable results you need very good lighting to "break through" the excessive micro-contrast of this lens.

Sigma 10-20 / 4-5.6 / 3.5 does not resolve SD Q H sensor and normal results are obtained only with a very limited aperture values (>9). There are no good M42 wide angle optics for SD Q H. For other focal lengths you can find good options. For a long time I used Sigma Dp0 Quattro instead of wide-angle lens :) . But finally I bought 14-24/2.8 and I have no problems with it.
As for the price... I had a great deal on a sale
Invoice.jpg

I’ve placed an order for the 14-24 f2.8 in the end. More than I have ever paid for a lens, but it seems they are pretty few and far between, and I’d rather grab one from Amazon than some Japan-based ebay seller and all the risks that come with that.

I’m looking forward to giving it a try.

One concern I have with this lens is the inability to use core filters, like a CPL or grad. Has that been an issue for you?

I’ve placed an order for the 14-24 f2.8 in the end. More than I have ever paid for a lens, but it seems they are pretty few and far between, and I’d rather grab one from Amazon than some Japan-based ebay seller and all the risks that come with that.

I’m looking forward to giving it a try.

One concern I have with this lens is the inability to use core filters, like a CPL or grad. Has that been an issue for you?
I use the Benro FH150M2S5 Filter Holder Set for SIGMA 14-24mm f/2.8 DG HSM. Link to e-bay as example.
And of course, the filters themselves are a bit pricey (2 - 150x150 (ND and Pl-CIR) and 1 - GND 150x170). I have these - bought on second hand in mint condition.
2023-04-22_18-38-52.jpg2023-04-22_18-40-03.jpg

Oh, it's good to hear there is a filter option. Thanks for the intel.

My lens has just been delivered. I'll try and venture out tomorrow to give it a try. Man, that front element is bulbous! I've never had any sort of lens like this. I have a 16-35 f4 on my Sony A7, but that is pretty flat. This looks like I am using some weird fish eye lens!

Oh, it's good to hear there is a filter option. Thanks for the intel.

My lens has just been delivered. I'll try and venture out tomorrow to give it a try. Man, that front element is bulbous! I've never had any sort of lens like this. I have a 16-35 f4 on my Sony A7, but that is pretty flat. This looks like I am using some weird fish eye lens!
Yes, that front lens was confusing to me too at first :) I'm always afraid of knocking something on it... :) Now I have only two lenses for SD Quattro H - Sigma 14-24/2.8 Art and Sigma 24-105/4 Art. They cover the whole range of focal lengths I need. I don't need anything else yet ...)
Btw, the Sigma 24-105/4 Art is a surprisingly hi-q lens...

photo_2023-04-22_20-13-21.jpg

I went to my local woodland this morning to test out the 14-24. Conditions weren't great for woodland photography, but I did what I could. Light post production in LR, and these are resized to 3000pixels (are we able to upload full res files at all?)

Attachments

• SDQH0350.jpg
    EXIF
    SDQH0350.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
  • SDQH0357.jpg
    EXIF
    SDQH0357.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
FYI here are a couple from yesterday morning shot with the 35/1.4. A bit of fog makes so much difference

Attachments

• SDQH0310.jpg
    EXIF
    SDQH0310.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
  • SDQH0319.jpg
    EXIF
    SDQH0319.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Back