CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Zeiss Contax Mutar converter with Zeiss 85mm/ f1.4 MM lens

G

In an attempt to control the bulk and cost my Contax slr kit,I was thinking of buy a used mutar converter for use with my 85mm f1.4 MM lens.Does any one have any practical experience of doing this and which one of the three (I-II-III) is the
right version.Many thanks.

G

> Ivan

Zeiss, at their converter section of
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
, recomends use of Mutar I with the 85mm f1.4 lens. They exclude the use of Mutar II with that lens for not specified "mechanical reasons". It seems that even Mutar III does not fit the 85mm f1.4 lens.

They state that the use of the Mutar converters does not affect image quality of their lenses.

But you might know that with Mutar I +II you loose two f-stops, with Mutar III one f-stop. This means that doubling the focal lengh of your 85mm f1.4 it becomes a 170mm f2.8.

Unfortunatly I have no experience in the use of converters, but I'm interessted in the this argument obviously for the same reasons.

Ciao Francesco

G

Hi Ivan,

only Mutar I can be used with 1.4/85, the other Mutar´s have protruding lens elements and do not fit mechanically therefore.

Optically the combination 1.4/85 + Mutar I gives good results, but is very soft and not much contrasty wide open. Stepping down 1 stop increases sharpnes and contrast dramatically. But then you have only a 4/180 lens. This combination is smaller than S 2.8/180.
For occasional use it might be a solution, but I would recommend buying a separate lens if best performance is your goal. For portability consider the S 2.8/135 as an alternative which costs usually not more than a converter.

Dieter

G

Hi Ivan,

According to instruction, only Mutar I can be fitted with P85mm.

I have been using P85 + M1. I also delivered my experience in the other thread some time ago.

They are good companion. Actually, 170mm F2.8 is still a fast lens.

The quality of both items are good. The weight together is similiar to Sonnar 180mm/2.8. This is a good choice if you are not so picky in image quality.

Regards,
Francis.

G

I used the Mutar I with the VS 80-200 f4 recently.

The sharpness and contrast does not seem to be adversely affected at all. In my experience, the Mutar does not degrade the image quality.

S&le pictures can be seen at:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

These images were all shot wide open through VS 80-200 f4 with Mutar I on Fuji Provia 400F.

I can recommend the Mutar as a viable alternative to a longer lens.

Craig