DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

A rumour but then I have been right twice before

Nikon may have a challenge to produce a full frame dSLR due to the smaller lens mount, although Kodak has made the 14n working. The larger N mount makes it easier to design a 1x dSLR

We announced the new D2H already yesterday on our www.nikoninfo.com site.

Regarding the Contax smaller chip-size thought:

I think the N-system will always be a full-size-chip system only. If Contax comes out with something smaller than fullsize, it will be with a C/Y mount only.

Just my 2 cents.

"I think the N-system will always be a full-size-chip system only. If Contax comes out with something smaller than fullsize, it will be with a C/Y mount only."

Hey Dirk, don't discount a G type digital camera having a smaller chip.

Clive

Any new information on the new Contax digital slr rumor?? I need another digital camera ASAP but would hate to buy into another system. I have the ND and it is great for studio situations - which makes up 70% of my work, but it's in the other 30% where I have a problem. The ND has far too much noise in higher iso range (if you call 160 a high iso). The Canon 10d ($1300) may make a good "band aid" until a new and hopefully interesting offering from Contax is available.
I have seen s&les from Canon's new consumer grade Rebel digital ($900) at iso 1600 and that has much less noise than my ND at 400. I find that upsetting.
What would you advise... continue to wait for Contax and shoot film for lowlight situations or buy the Canon 10d?
Thanks,
Roger

Roger - how can anyone advice you in this matter when nobody on this forum knows when a new Contax digital will come out, or how much money you can afford to spend on different systems, or how much money you already have invested in Contax and Canon (lenses)?

This one is for you alone I would think. Good luck.

Maybe you could think about it this way. If a roll of film costs $5 and processing costs $10, then for the $1300 you might spend on the band-aid solution that doesn't completely please you, you could shoot 86 rolls of film - at any speed - and add in processing. If you already have a film camera and don't plan to shoot more than 86 rolls in the coming few months - maybe this would be sufficient while you wait out technology. If you shoot more than this - maybe it is not a financially sound idea. Not sure of your requirements of quality either. With film at least you have options for high res or lo res scans after the shot has been made. Whereas with digital, you're stuck with max resolution or lower of the shot at the time you exposed it. Just a thought. -Lynn

>Roger,

I also have the ND, and only shoot in ISO 100 or less. I'm pleased w/ the camera, but certainly understand the need to sometimes shoot at a higher ISO. The only "rumours" we seem to have, is that something my be out from Kyocera around Spring.

In the meantime, Lynn's suggestion is sound. However; having shot digital alot lately, I know how easily it can spoil you.

My suggestion would be to by either an NX or N1 body. You can use the same lenses. If you really have to have a digital solution and can afford the system, go ahead and get the Canon. Although, I think you will be frustrated, realizing how sweet the ND handling can be compared to a Canon.

Also, I am sure you are already aware that you can "cheat" with the ND. Use the EC and dial down -1.0 or -2.0. You effectively can increase your ISO and still get very good images!

Good luck.

Michael.

Roger,

I can feel your pain as I am in the same boat dying for a new digital body. At least you have a ND to work with, lucky you.

I am stuck since I have already invested heavily on Contax lenses. The 10D is very attractive for the money. But it will be a big step back from the lenses perspective. At the mean time, I scan all my films with excellent results. But the work flow will never be as convenience as total digital for many occasions.

Immediate "wants and gimme's" is not a good formula when it comes to digital. Fortunately, there is plenty of film (including new ones), and the N1 camera can be had used for a nice price these days. It then can serve as a back-up to a Contax digital SLR when they do finally resurface with one.

I have the Canon 10D, and it is a nice digital for the money...IF you put the L primes on it. Those are quite costly, and rank right up with Zeiss in terms of both performance and wallet draining price.

Back