DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

General Flash Questions for Contax G1/G2

G

I'm looking to pick up a cheaper module shoe mounted flash. I'm looking at the Sunpak 444D and the YC-1D module and was wondering if anyone could tell me if this allows full TTl functionality for the G2.
Thanks in advance.
Craig

> Sunpak 444D and the YC-1D module and was wondering if > anyone could tell me if this allows full TTl functionality for the G2.

I know it's not a G2 but I use this combo on my Contax SLRs and it works great, just as well as my Contax flashes.

Jeff,
Thanks for the help...I'm going to assume that there should be no problem with the G2 on the same module and flash. I'll try to report on when I get the flash.
Craig

Craig,
Please post what your results with Sunpak 444D and YC-1D. I am also interested if it gives full TTL functionality for the G2. I would like to get direct verification from a G2 user who has tested it out.

Howard

Hi Craig,

For what it is worth I have used a Sunpak DX-8R ringflash on a RTSiii for some time now with no problems at all - it gives superb results. As the TLA flash used with the G2 is also fully compatible with my RTSiii I cannot forsee any problems with using the Sunpak 444D on your G2.

Whilst the Sunpak units are not as well made as Contax or Metz products they are good enough.

Regards,

Clive
70137.jpg

>Whilst the Sunpak units are not as well made as Contax or Metz products they are good enough.<

Funny, I have a friend in the repair business who feels the Metz are not as well made as Sunpak. Jeff

I just got a Metz 54MZ-3 to use with my G1. When I have the flash on, the shutter speed defaults to 1/60 sec. Since the aperture is under my control, what is the rule of thumb for setting aperture for a flash photo? Is it the distance to the subject? Is there a different rule for fill flash?

Michael,

if you do not shoot in full darkness, exposure is always a mixture of flash light and ambient light. Flash is controlled by GN-calc or automatically, while ambient ratio is controlled by aperture.

Keep in mind that ONE flash can properly light up only one spatial layer. With staged subjects, you HAVE to include ambient light sources, or more flashguns.

Within it's working range, every TTL-controlled flash will compensate your aperture setting and fire the appropriate amount of light at the foreground (NEAREST and/or LARGEST area, sophisticated Canon and Nikon SLR-Systems ignored).

The more the aperture is closed, the darker the background gets.
This is why I would always recommend full aperture and high speed film for indoor portraits - if you use a flash or not. "Black hole"-backgrounds look bad.

There is nothing special about fill flash: The only difference is that ambient light is the main source.
Therefore you expose for ambient light only, lock in the exposure time manually, THEN turn on the flash and reduce flash output for at least -1 stop.

Till

I spoke to a Sunpak rep and he assured me that the Sunpak 444D and YC-1D will work w/the G2 with TTL functionality.

I ordered it from Adorama, it was only place on the web that I could find the YC-1D module that works with Contax cameras.

Howard

Hi,

I've got a TLA140 for mine G2. How can I get a nice fill-in flash? (no flash exposure compensation function available on the bodie and no manual setting available on the flash...)

Sander

Back