DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

Hi Martin,

The early G1's have a silver label inside the film chamber, the later ones, those that have been upgraded and all G2's have a green label.

The Green Label G1 will work with all 'G'lenses except the zoom. The silver label G1's cannot function with the 35mm and 21mm lenses, but they can be upgraded by Contax to do so.

Regards,

Clive

"Modified most likely means that the ROM was upgraded to allow the use of the use of the 21mm f/2.8 Biogon and the 35mm f/2 Planar lenses (usually indicated by a green sticker in the film chamber). If you don't plan on using those lenses, then don't worry about whether it has the modification. Check out Tamarkin - they have a 'near mint' G1 with boxes and unfilled-out card (I called and verified) for $325 - it does not have (or at least doesn't appear to have) the ROM modification. Keep checking eBay also - just purchased a mint G1 + 45mm lens for $475 without the ROM modification. Also, if you buy either the 21mm or 35mm lenses new, it comes with a voucher, which enables you to get the upgrade for free from Contax (at least, I'm pretty sure that the upgrade program is still in effect). Hope this helps." >

>I agree about finding good, unmodified G1s. I just got one (very mint but no box) with the 45mm, for $500 at a local store. Personally, I could care less about the 21 and 35 lenses. It's the zoom I wish I could use. I guess I'll just have to buy a G2 body.

I purchased my G1 kit 2/01. I have used it very little, probably about 5-7 rolls of film. It is the G1 with 35 and 90 mm lenses with a filter for each. (I have the TLA 200 as well but probably not willing to part with that as I have a T3). Since I am not using this camera and I am using the T3 whenever I do take a camera along I have been thinking of selling it. The camera and lenses are in mint condition, not a scratch. I am wondering what this might be worth with and without the TLA 200 if I did decided to sell? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joel Stern

Dear all,

Thank you for all the great information on the G1. I was actually looking for a good used G1 but could not find a suitable one so far. I decided to get a new one as I found the price very reasonable. To my surprise, I was told the G1 had been discontinued. Does anyone has any idea when it was discontinued and for what reason?

Andy

I have a question regarding the TLA200 flash that I use on my G1. When set on TTL, the shutter speed always reads 1/60th. Is that the actual shutter speed, or is it regulated depending on the ambient light?

Vivian,

When you mount and switch on your flash the camera defaults to 1/60. That is the actual shutter speed it will use whilever the flash is connected and charged.

Try activating the AE lock and you will find that the shutter speed reverts to the ambient setting, but be careful not to exceed the 1/60 maximum or you will get uneven exposure.

Clive

Thanks Clive; I was also wondering if the cable release button should work the same way that the shutter release button on the camera body works, in other words, that it should be pressed halfway for AF. Mine simply trips almost as soon as i press it. Or should I assume it focuses in that short fraction of a second? Thanks,
Vivian

Hi Vivian,

Yes, mine too does not allow the semi - depression as you can achieve with the shutter button. When you press the cable release the lens focuses and parks in an instant. This may be a problem for image sharpness if the camera is not well braced.

Clive

Back