DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Insects from today

philzucker

Spring is still coming very slow here in Germany, but the insects at least start appearing. Here four from today, taken in my garden:

1. Fly:
Insects-01.jpg

2. Sawfly:
Insects-02.jpg

3. Hoverfly:

Insects-03.jpg

4. And last a very pesky and very tiny (about 2mm) young aphid - very severe crop, not up to the standard of the other three, but at least enough detail to get a good look at it:

Insects-04.jpg

All taken hand held with the OM 90mm macro + 1.4 TC on an OM-1. All taken at 1/250s, the Hoverfly at f7.1, the other three at f5.0 (fully open with the TC). I used AF-C, and that was very helpful in the somewhat windy conditions to get the insects on the swaying leaves sharp. Keeper rate and working distance with this combo was again very nice indeed.

Phil

Spring is still coming very slow here in Germany, but the insects at least start appearing. Here four from today, taken in my garden:

1. Fly:
View attachment 1782

2. Sawfly:
View attachment 1783

3. Hoverfly:

View attachment 1784

4. And last a very pesky and very tiny (about 2mm) young aphid - very severe crop, not up to the standard of the other three, but at least enough detail to get a good look at it:

View attachment 1785

All taken hand held with the OM 90mm macro + 1.4 TC on an OM-1. All taken at 1/250s, the Hoverfly at f7.1, the other three at f5.0 (fully open with the TC). I used AF-C, and that was very helpful in the somewhat windy conditions to get the insects on the swaying leaves sharp. Keeper rate and working distance with this combo was again very nice indeed.

Phil
very nice set, Hoverfly my pick

very nice set, Hoverfly my pick
Thanks very much! Yes, the hoverfly has the best detail. Stepping down a bit might be a good idea when using the TC - not only for more DOF, but also for basic sharpness.
Still getting to know the 90 mm. :)

Phil

Back