DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Red Salt Lake

Serge

Pentax K-1 / K-1 Mark II / Irix 15/2.4 / Sigma 35/1.4 Art / 2017 - 2021
Red salt lake - Sasiq-Sivash. The red color in these salt lakes/ponds is from halophile green micro-algae Dunaliella salina - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunaliella_salina

Google maps
v2

Pano - 7 shots + crop / Google maps
v2

Google maps
v2

v2

The third image is truly phenomenal--the sun, the sky, and the earth! Never have I seen such a sight before.
Thank you!!!
There is a constant strong wind near the main lake, there are also small half-dried lakes and salt marshes. Therefore there are particles of 'pink' salt constantly floating in the air, creating an unusual fog effect, especially in the night photos. It is very uncomfortable to take pictures because the place is covered with corrosive dirt and you have to take bottles of water to wash it off your shoes and tripod legs. But it feels like being on Mars )
The lakes are periodically flooded with a thin layer of water, it evaporates and rare-earth elements are extracted afterwards from the pink salt. The main thing is to be there at a time when there is still a new very thin layer of pink "brine", but not when it fills up with fresh grey water.
I'll be on holiday in mid-May and I'll go there again...

...the place is covered with corrosive dirt and you have to take bottles of water to wash it off your shoes and tripod legs. But it feels like being on Mars...
Sounds like a good place to make sure you have your protection filters on your lenses. Wow.

Back