DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Upload size limit - (automate?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are no other free sites, which offer file sizes what DPReview had. Amazon payed the bills. And even Amazon decided, that it is not worth it

It is time to get realistic. There is no Amazon here or somewhere else. ;)

We all have to bite the bullet. Welcome to reality :)
Dirk, w"welcome to reality?".
First, let me make clear that I am NOT upset that I joined this forum as any forum that has a Fuji section I will still be glad to read from time to time. I just wish some of these sites would not have been sold so hard on DPR as if they were very close to a replacement.

Now, about reality, here is reality, it has nothing to do with file size limit, as I said in my other post, it was the ease of posting on DPR, ie, not having to save a bunch of extra jpegs or go through the imbed crap from 3rd party sites like Flickr.
And now, I just found out that there is a forum, Cameraderie, that allows you to just post photos as you did on DPR. Their forum software automatically resizes down to their limit, which means no saving of extra files, no need for the embedding crap, no need for anything other than what you did with DPR, browse your jpegs, choose one, any size, upload and the forum handles the rest. I could care less if it downsizes, the photos are plenty big to see them well, zoom in and all.

So no, having to imbed from Flickr or make extra jpegs IS NOT THE NEW REALITY.

NOW, I'm sure some intelligent poster will direct me to just go there in a rude fasion, I would hope they would be smart enough to see that I already anticipate such a silly response.

As I said, this doesn't mean that I won't still come here to check out the Fuji forum, same on revived, Fujix, Fuji X. POTN and others. But I think it is a good thing to let everyone know that there is at least one forum so far that DOES NOT require you to make extra jpegs on your drive or have the need to post pics you might want to put here for discussion on your Flickr photostream. I would say 75 percent of the photos I posted, say, in the adapted lens forum at DPR were NOT photos I want on my Flickr.

I will do some more checkinng on other forums to see if their forum software does the resize for you. But right now, Camaraderie will be the main alternative to DPR for me until I find others that do the same thing.
This very thread was asking this very question, and I am glad to be able to tell him there IS A FORUM where you don't have to do anything different than you did at DPR, browse and choose your photo, DONE, the forum handles the rest. The photo even has the exit info at the bottom, lens model and all.
Now, I know some of these forums will probably use a better software in the future and if so that would be great.

Don't worry I've blocked you so I don't have to see anymore of your stupidity
Lol, how will I cope? Will I even be able to go to sleep tonight? I have a tear running down my cheek, I may need therapy, lol.
And since he seemed so sure he was right, I guess he won't know now that there is a site that lets you do the same as you did on DPR to post photos, brilliant.

Thanks for the info. As a great man once said: “Reality, what a concept!”
No problem, glad to help. I will still like this forum just fine, revived as well as others. I am just thrilled that for photo posting there is at least one forum that lets you avoid all the imbedding crap and the making extra jpegs just for posting.
I will make a post on DPR and revived about this as no doubt there are very many other DPR members that want the same photo posting ease that DPR has.
Dirk, hopefully this forum can do this in the future as I like this forum format type and how it looks close to DPR. So if the software could be upgraded then this forum would be very close.
So I'm glad I joined here, no regrets there, it's just that cameraderie allows me to just browse and upload, no different than DPR for the poster.

@guitarjeff

As you might have seen it in other threads here, we are still experimenting with different options to present images and different file sizes to upload them directly on our server.

Direct uploads on our server

We moved up from originally 500KB to 4MB and are currently at 5.1MB which reliable works. In theory, you can take whatever size you want to and the forum softare will compress it accordingly. But I have not tested this with different files yet, which ager bigger than 5MB. You can test it yoursef, if you want to. Same as at Cameradie by the way.

If you do not like the image quality of these automatically compressed files, you need to do it yourself.

Show it from your own webhoster

Some user do not want to upload it directly. They have their images already somewhere and just wnat to emebed them. This is their own choice. We do not dictate this. As far as I know, we achieved atm, that there is no size retsriction if you embed the images. I gues this depends more on the external image hoster.

but I never saw a statement like yours over at DPR as this forum was being sold in threads.

Sorry, I do not understand that sentence. What do you mean by this "sold in threads"?

So my problem is how these new sites were pushed on DPR as a real alternative and it turns out they are the same as sites that have already been in existence for years and those sites have many thousands of members already.

You have to be realistic here. Nobody will re-invent the wheel. There is a limit what you can offer on the internet.

I wrote that also already several times at DPReview. There have been other forums in the past beside DPReview and there will be others also in the future. Each user has to pick the one he likes the most.

I founded DPRF, because many DPreview users wanted to have a fresh, new place, only for them. Nothing old, already existing. This combined with a modern, easy to use and future proof forum software. This is what I did. I just helped to create, what others wanted to have. There is nothing bad with this offer and everybody is free to go elsewhere. Nobody is forced to be here. ;)

As I said already in other threads and in the announcements. We are just at the beginning. More things are on their way. Just wait and see.

;)

@guitarjeff

As you might have seen it in other threads here, we are still experimenting with different options to present images and different file sizes to upload them directly on our server.

We moved up from originally 500KB to 4MB and are currently at 5.1MB which reliable works. In theory, you can take whatever size you want to and the forum softare will compress it accordingly. But I have not tested this with different files yet, which ager bigger than 5MB. You can test it yoursef, if you want to. Same as at Cameradie by the way.

If you do not like the image quality of these automatically compressed files, you need to do it yourself.

Some user do not want to upload it directly. They have their images already somewhere and just wnat to emebed them. This is their own choice. We do not dictate this. As far as I know, we achieved atm, that there is no size retsriction if you embed the images. I gues this depends more on the external image hoster.

Sorry, I do not understand that sentence. What do you mean by this "sold in threads"?

You have to be realistic here. Nobody will re-invent the wheel. There is a limit what you can offer on the internet.

I wrote that also already several times at DPReview. There have been other forums in the past beside DPReview and there will be others also in the future. Each user has to pick the one he likes the most.

I founded DPRF, because many DPreview users wanted to have a fresh, new place, only for them. Nothing old, already existing. This combined with a modern, easy to use and future proof forum software. This is what I did. I just helped to create, what others wanted to have. There is nothing bad with this offer and everybody is free to go elsewhere. Nobody is forced to be here. ;)

As I said already in other threads and in the announcements. We are just at the beginning. More things are on their way. Just wait and see.

;)
Dirk, that's great news, though I did try to upload a JPEG yesterday that was around 9 MB and the forum gave me the "oops there was a problem" window. In fact, a suggestio. On that, I had writtensome on the post and instead of tge oops screen actually telling me the file size limit right there so I could have just kept my post ready to add a photo of the right size and went to make one, it told me to go to a.other forum to read it which seems very inconvenient. I ended up closing my post. It would be nice if you simply change the oops screen to just say the file limit right there.

Anyway, glad to here you are looking to make the photo posting as easy to do here as it was on DPR and cameraderie. Once that is sorted, I could see this forum being the number 1 for me.
I will be glad to test some more and see how big the forum will allow and still auto resize. No doubt you will get it all sorted.
So my main misery of DPR closing is at least being worked on here and I imagine at revived as well, and Cameraderie has me covered until this and other forums get it all sorted.
So I am thrilled about this and will do some more posting attempts here as I get the time, today and tomorrow my grandbaby is here but I will keep this thread updated to let you know how it's progressing.
Thanks.

@guitarjeff

;)
IMG_2022.jpeg

Just out of curiosity, I just tried to post this 7.1 MBJPEG, add the site accepted it, but I think it downsized it to 879kb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back