DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

DPR will live

I'm seeing the first signs of things being disabled. I have tried (twice) to upload another image to my gallery, and it failed.
Posting comments on photos or challenges still works.
Voting on challenges still works. I suspect they might keep that running until all challenges are completed.

I'm seeing the first signs of things being disabled.
I wonder if they're being disabled or if the site is just flakey.

I've just recently used both the camera and lens history as well as looking at my profile and it died on me but I went back in and it worked.

I wonder if they're being disabled or if the site is just flakey.

I've just recently used both the camera and lens history as well as looking at my profile and it died on me but I went back in and it worked.
Indeed, I tried again to upload an image today and it just worked. So far, all functionality still seems to work if you're patient enough. I think the site is indeed just flakey, perhaps because people all over the world are scraping data from it because they don't trust Amazon's effort to archive it :D

Definitely. Even though I'm still posting at DPR at the moment, if someone continued DPR the way it is now, most would go back.

The rumors are, that they might archive the static pages, i.e. reviews etc.

There seems to be no interest in keeping the DPreview forums alive. This is understandable from their point of you. You have to see it from their perspective:

• The forum software is an individual programmed software. That means expensive for maintenance and expensive to add features.
  • When I checked all moderators 4 weeks ago, many of them have not been logged in there for months. They basically do not exist anymore.
  • Only a few moderators are still active there. Some of them are not interested anymore to do a moderator job at dpreview. The closure is for them basically a great excuse to stop, what they did want to stop already before
  • To hire the right people for moderation is a demanding task and not easy. To train them to do a correct job even more. Amazon is not interested in this.
  • There is no benefit for Amazon to run a forum. The static pages are more beneficial for advertising: No work, no costs and just income.

So in my view it is clear, that the DPreview forum will be closed and probably also deleted. The other stuff like reviews and YouTube channel we will see.

I wonder if part of the end was due to hardware issues. There were times it took 25-30 seconds to load a page.
Or maybe it was just old software that couldn't handle the traffic.
Quick checks on other sites showed the problem wasn't on my end.
Maybe a big upgrade bill didn't sit well with Jassy.

DPR is still posting news as well, and it seems that new forum questions are still being answered. The population is still very high and active. So why change now they might think?

Back