DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Focusing Problem with N1

se_kp_sg

My 24-85 is dead-on accurate in terms of focussing.

But my 50mm f1.4 and 17-35mm are ALWAYS focusing at a shorter distance than necessary. So, I have to manually turn the focussing ring to the right to achieve sharpness. Very irritating!

Is this inherent again? Or am I getting a faulty N1. I am not keen in sending for repair as god knows what they would do to the insides of the camera, as well as it may come back with some scratches on the body.

Se, I would send it in, because N1 is supposed to focus precisley, but slowley. Try it!

Regards
Wolfgang

Thanks Wolfgang.

I have sent my N1 about a month ago to the agent in Singapore, Tithes Marketing. They are taking soooo looong to get it done.

Well, so much for service from Contax and it agents. It had better come back soon. Otherwise, I am going making a hell of racquet.

Anyone else face the same problem? I have the same problem with NX and 28-80...very annoying..

I am not sure if you guys notice that N1 seems didn't focus well with its 5 auto-focus; I mean the other corner than center position didn't give me the same result when I use wide range side of 24-85.
Is your machine has the same problem?

Charlie, all AF cameras act that way. The center position is always the most sensitive. My Canon EOS 1v and 1Ds act that way, and they are the fastest AF you can get. In fact, most AF sensors will not work at all with lenses who's maximum aperture is above f/5.6, (for ex&le, a f/4 lens with a 2X extender = f/8). One exception to that is some of the Pro level Canon AF cameras, which are so sensitive that you can use a f/8 lens...BUT only if you use the center position.

Marc, really appreciate that you made me released from this case. :)

I'm still confused about whether the autofocusing glitches on the N1 that require adjustment or recalibration are less likely to occur in recently manufactured s&les. Is there an advantage to buying new over used, and looking for a high serial number? Or is the problem random, no matter when the camera was made? I've worked on two separate occasions with used N1/24-85mm combos, and both tended to autofocus a bit short of perfect focus at longer distances. Is it the opinion of forum membrs that I would be just as likely to encounter this problem with new s&les of the body and lens? Any insight would be appreciated.

Drew,

When I still had my N1, I had sent it together with VS24-85mm to Kyocera for few adjustments. One of the things I wanted fixed was zoom creep and another was a problem with focusing in dim light. At the end, although they did fix the problem with the zoom creep, I insisted they simply give me brand new lens as replacement. So, I got new lens, which had OLDER serial number that mine and it didn't exhibit focusing problems, nor did it have zoom creep.

So, I'm not sure there is a difference between older serial numbers or newer serial numbers. I'm thinking, maybe there was simply a bad batch one day?

Also, just keep in mind. Central sensor is the most accurate, the rest aren't. So, if it focuses short of subject when using any other 4 sensors in difficult situations - it's probably normal.

Mike.

Hi Drew.

You'd hit the problem right on!

Yes, it seems that the camera/lens ALWAYS focuses shorter than the correct distance.

So, what I normally do is once the lens has stop focussing, I will just turn the focussing ring A LITTLE to the anticlockwise direction (to a slightly longer distance).

Sometimes the slight turn is too slight, but most of the time it works!

Don't expect too much of the Contax focusing compared to the Canons and Nikons.

Back