Zeiss lens research which made in Germany

grumpoid

Hi all,

I am doing on-going research into Zeiss T* lenses and would appreciate help : can anyone say with 100% certainty which of the following lenses were produced in Germany and were they in AEG or MMG mount, or both?
Zeiss 25/2.8, 28/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.4, 100/3.5, 100/2, 135/2.8, 60/2.8C.

thanks in advance for any help..Steve.M (UK)

jsmisc

Hello Steve,
I have the 25/2.8 in MM mount and it is made in Japan.
I also have the 100/3.5 in MM and this is also marked made in Japan as is my 50/1.4 MM.
My 200/f4 MM is marked made in West Germany which shows its age I suppose.
I don't know about the other lenses you mentioned but I suspect that most of mine will have been produced in AE versions before the mount was changed many years ago. I remember being one of the knashers of teeth at the time.
My 85/2.8 MM is marked made in Germany.
I hope that helps a bit. They are all excellent lenses. I don't think that made in Japan or Germany makes a scrap of difference although somehow it is nicer to have lenses marked made in Germany.
Cheers,
John

wang

I am writing down what I have seen.

15 3.5 WG
18 4 J
21 2.8 J
25 2.8 J
28 2.8 J
28 2 WG
35 1.4 WG, J
35 2.8 J
45 2.8 J
50 1.7/1.4 J
60 2.8 WG,J
85 2.8 G never seen a J version
85 1.4 G,J
85 1.2 WG,G
100 2 WG, J
100 2.8 J
135 2.8 J
180 J
200 2 J

Recently, I brought my second 100 2 made in west Germany,my first one is made in Japan. Optically I can't see any difference. The J one might perform slight better that the inner lining of the lens is darker and absobs light better.
All these are mass production products, they can't be different because they are produced in different places.

robusto

Steve,

I have a list of Contax lenses (quite comprehensive)downloaded from the website of a Japanese camera shop back in 1999. The website is still there but I could not find the link to the lens information again. You may try your luck at
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
but here is the list.

I hope this helps.

Wai (robusto)
<center><table border=1><tr><td>
Contax lenses
(32.3 k)</td></tr></table></center>

jsmisc

That's interesting. Thanks for the useful lens list. I have saved it and hope that's OK.
One discrepancy I notice is in respect of the 85/2.8 Sonnar. Mine is MM and made in Germany whereas the list gives the AE version as made in Germany and the MM as made in Japan.
It looks generally as though the German ones are mainly AE and so would be older models.

fotografz

There was a 55/1.2 made in Japan? That's interesting. I thought that like the 85/1.2, the 55/1.2 was only made in Germany.

There were no 100/2 lenses made in Japan?

What does the "C" in 60 C Macro stand for?

Excellent list.

nickser

Hi Marc,

With regards to the 'C' notation, it stands for Compact. It also only goes to 1:2. The normal 60 MP does 1:1 and is larger in size as well.

Paul

robusto

Marc,

It was interesting to me too the first time I read the list. Apparently some of the lenses (especially the German versions) were either prototypes or produced in very small quantities and therefore rarely seen in the market.
100/2 Japan is on the list. The "C" in 60 C Marcro stands for Compact.

Cheers
wai (robusto)

grumpoid

Hi,
Thanks to all for the info so far...please any more is welcome!! Please note if you have AEG, AEJ, MMG or MMJ or have seen them!! I am trying to establish Zeiss manufacturing patterns & info as so little info is available and so much info is guessed or heresay. I will be asking for more info to follow as I wish to really establish some facts about the lens manufacturing of Zeiss T*....regards to all.

grumpoid

Hi Wai,

Thanks for the list, indeed helpful..but even this has omissions/ errors, which is why I am doing this research.
The errors I see are : there are certainly 18/4 MM Germany, 85/2.8 MM Germany, 100/3.5 AE Japan, 200/4 MM Germany and yet all these are missing from the list. I also believe 100/2 MM Germany exists..but would like it confirming. It also shows 35/2.8 AE Germany but no one seems to have seen one!! also a 100/3.5 AE Germany which also no one seems to have seen...does anyone own any of these 'missing' lenses?
....thanks for everyones patience & help.
Cheers Steve.

grumpoid

Hi Dirk,

I am a late-comer to the Contax 'party' having just started using the Contax/ Zeiss gear about 3 years ago and very soon became frustrated at there being so little info about Contax & Zeiss compared to other brands, so decided to start research for my own interest & knowledge..maybe eventually publish a 'paper' or present a list to Contax-info...I do not know at this stage, I just read a Contax book published in Germany and it was so interesting I wanted more info!! clearly judging by the few replies so far, there are lots more Contax fans who would like some too!

Cheers Steve.M.

dirk

CI-Founder
... you will not regret the decision for Contax/ Zeiss glass

Regarding any potential publications with information from our forums, please respect our terms of use.

We are in talks about a book and/or e-paper about Contax caneras and Zeiss lenses starting from (C/Y mount) 1972 onwards, by the way. Whether Zeiss Ikon will be included (the new models) is not decided yet...

wang

Zeiss M mount lenses should be included for historic reasons. The timing between the beginning of Zeiss Ikon is so closely followed by the termination of Contax makes people think they must be somehow related.

robusto

Steve,

There are definitely omissions, not to mentions errors on the list which was posted by this used camera shop in Japan probably on basis of the lenses that it had once carried up until 1999.
I personally own 85/2.8 MM which I forgot to include in the list. I also found out today from the website of the same camera shop that it is carrying a VS 35~70 Germany which is new to me. (If you can read Japanese or Chinese, go to
, click used camerea, and type Contax in the search box.)

Good luck to your research project.

grumpoid

Hi Dirk,

No problem..at this point, any info at all I find is purely for my own use. I sell as a hobby in the UK and am tired of being asked questions by nice Contax users which I would love to answer with confidence but cannot, hence my own research.

I am really wanting to know Contax camera/ Zeiss T* lens production dates (both Germany & Japan), lens production runs, ie amount produced and in which mount, intro & discon years, lens up-dates/ optical alterations etc...maybe info which Zeiss do not want to share ? will your book/ e-paper cover any of this? basically all the info you can easily find for Leica but not Contax/ Zeiss.

Cheers...Steve.

dirk

CI-Founder
Hi Steve,

"...will your book/ e-paper cover any of this? basically all the info you can easily find for Leica but not Contax/ Zeiss..."

Yes. The Leica books by the way have in most cases wrong numbers

fotografz

Dirk, I think the books by Jim Lager on Leica are pretty accurate.

Sitting on my desk next to me is a 180/2.8 W.German AE lens.

I also once owned a 85/1.2 German AE that was NOT an anniversary lens. My current one is a 60th anniversary.