DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS

Thanks for the flowers! :rolleyes:

I frequently do all possible efforts to illustrate, that image quality can be considerably affordable.
The most expensive equipment does not always mean the most brilliant image results. Dedication is much more important. :)

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Klaus, you must have a good copy of that lens or something. My 18-200 OS is not nearly that sharp (see note), and I've come to the conclusion that the OS is pretty much useless as even 1/60 shots will come out blurred @200mm.

For general walking around, not knowing what I'm going to shoot, I like the range of the 18-200, and it is generally OK. For serious shooting, I personally wish I had something better.

note: I'm wondering if my lens has a "soft spot" and a "sharp spot." It seems like images taken up to 10ft or so away are pretty good, macros are still good but not as good, and everything else is as soft as a cotton ball.

... sharp as a knife .... 18-200mm DC OS @134mm... open aperture F:5.6

View attachment 1552

... sharp as a knife .... 18-200mm DC OS @ 162mm ..... + macro bellows

View attachment 1553

Sharp in action .... 18-200mm DC OS at LONDON COVENT GARDEN
154mm / F:8 / ....1/200s ..../ ISO 400

View attachment 1554

I have got two of the 18-200mm DC OS (one to the hands of my wife!) and the older 18-200 mm DC (NON OS!)

All of them perform best. I guess, I like this lens! :)

Klaus

Attachments

• -Heuschrecke3-.JPG
    EXIF
    -Heuschrecke3-.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 24
  • -Libelle2-.jpg
    EXIF
    -Libelle2-.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 21
  • -Künstler1-.JPG
    EXIF
    -Künstler1-.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 21
Your photos prove your point, that Sigma can design and produce a lens with a wide zoom range. ( > 1:10 )

Being manual/analog photography old fashioned, I was only considering prime lenses and zooms with a < 1:3 zoom range without OS ( that's what tripods are for ;) ), I may have to give something wider a try.

18-50 EX vs DC

I too have been wondering about EX lenses. I have a 18-50mm DC, but saw there was also an EX version. Could you elaborate a little on for whom the differences would be a factor?

Thanks!

The 18-50 DC lens is an inexpensive kit lens that performs just okay. The EX version is a constant f/2.8 and controls distortion and flare better, has higher contrast, and costs a lot more. Since most users print at smaller sizes (typical 8x10 traditional size), the actual advantage is less (other than low light performance).

As others have shown, the 18-200 OS lens is excellent and can provide very nice enlargements. It is also a great lens for taking shots of insects (you can stand further way than with the shorter macro lenses). Would I trade mine for EX glass? Probably not since that is not the reason I bought the SD14 (it is my light weight travel camera). I did add the 30mm f/1.4 for low light and shallow DOF (and because I prefer natural light over flash).

Klaus's images are sharp. I hope I can get results like that...I haven't stepped-out with the camera/lens yet but this thread is inspiring to me.

Chromatic Abbreviation: 18-200mm DC vs. 18-200mm DC OS

I have got two of the 18-200mm DC OS (one to the hands of my wife!) and the older 18-200 mm DC (NON OS!)

All of them perform best. I guess, I like this lens! :)

Klaus

Hi Klaus,

I often get CA in sunlight shots from my SD14 with 18-200mm DC throughout the whole zoom range. When the focal length is near 18mm and 200mm, I see CA in almost all shots in bright sunlight (even in indoor shots with built-in flash.)

Does the one you have exhibits similar behavior as well?
I am wondering if I should replace it with the 18-200mm OS version.
Do you think the OS version is better in this regard?

Thanks for your comments in advanced,
Bashar

Back