DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New Contax ND

PS. Edward: what lens(es) did you get with your 300D that you're so disappointed with?

Edward, I still do not understand the source of your information. Forums such as this are used to gather information from user experience, but need some form of data to aid in determining credibility. Canon L lenses are NOT fast but unsharp as you say, at least based on 3rd party comparisons and my own real world experiences.

The Canon 35/1.4L, 50/1.4, 85/1.2L, 135/2L, 200/1.8L, 300/4L, 300/2.8L, 400/2.8L are some of the highest rated lenses in the world according to photodo.com as well as other sources. My practical experience bares this out. IMO, the Canon 50/1.4 outperforms the N 50/1.4 both in sharpness and especially bokeh for less price. Nothing in the Contax line up compares to the Canon 135/2L @ $879. except the old German made 135/2 manual lens that's now a collector lens in price. Same for the Canon 85/1.2 verses the Contax manual 85/1.2 which is better IMO, but cost a lot more and isn't available in N mount AF). There is no 35/1.4 N lens so the Canon is better by default.

Price wise check the Canon 16-35/2.8L against the Contax 17-35/2.8. This is usually a key lens in any system. And is especially so with the N system because there are no wide Ns.

Don't take this wrong. I love N Zeiss lenses. But not because of price or sharpness. It's the other characteristics that make them shine in comparison: color rendition and tonal qualities among them.

Oh, BTW, if it is awesome speed without image compromise that you seek, I agree with Mike, Leica M is the only game in town... if your pocketbook can take the hit.

Hi Marc, we're sounding like the Canon Defence League here! ;o)

Edward, one thing I meant to add is that you can get an adapter to allow the use of C/Y mount lenses on EOS bodies. You're stuck with stop-down metering, but it's an option to consider. I'm definitely planning to invest in one so I can use the 21mm Distagon on my EOS-1v.

-= mike =-

Yeah Mike, maybe to much ; -)

Is that a C/Y lens adapter only? Or do they also offer a N to EOS mount? And who is "they" that offer it?

I've used Contax 645 lenses on N bodies, as well as both F and V hasselblad glass, (the Hassey F 110/2 is unparalleled). Since I shoot mostly wide open or close to it, the "stop down metering " thing doesn't bug me that much.

Hi Marc,

They are C/Y only. Bob Shell and Stephen Gandy sell them in the US:

http://www.bobshell.com/adapter.html
http://www.cameraquest.com/adaptnew.htm

In Europe, Speed Graphic sell the German Novoflex range of body adapters, which _may_ contain at C/Y->EOS adapter (not 100% sure). I'm with you on that stop-down metering thing, I'm really looking forward to being able to use the Distagon on my Canon bodies, especially once I get hold of a 300D.

HTH

-= mike =-

Ok Guys, I surrender!

No really, I stopped working with Canon gear sometime in 1991 and moved to Contax that I used untill 1995, when I quit photography altogether because I thought it had no future with all the digital technology coming up! I was wrong!

I also used a Bronica 6X7 and a Cambo 5X4".

Anyway, I have worked with Canon and Contax manual focus systems and have used Canon's 4/21, 2.8/28, 1.4/50, 2/100, 4/200, as for Contax I have used 2.8/28, 1.4/50, 1.4/85, 4/200 as well as a complete G2 system. As you see, you have a lot more experience than me, and I did quit 9 years ago, just to come back as a hobbyist a few month ago. Maybe my info is out dated!

Anyhow, I purchased a 300D kit with 1.4/50 and a Sigma 4-5.6/70-300 cheapie, and I am very disappointed with its focusing inaccuracy, and the lack of resolution in the kit lens. But maybe I have bought a faulty camera, I am not sure since I have no refernce point.

Marc,

For adapters, please also try www.srbfilm.co.uk. They can also manufacture adaptors, I believe, but obviously only within certain parameters.

Rgds, Saras

BTW, I bought the 300D because I wanted to get a cheap camera untill Contax produces a replacement for the ND, as I do not currently own any N lenses. I was planning to get an NX and a few lenses that I could use on the new ND, but finally decided on the Canon, and that imo was a big mistake!!!

Cheers,
Edward

Sir, place your hands on your head and step away from the tripod!! ;o)

I don't have any experience of the Canon manual focus lenses, although I've seen very flattering things written about certain of them (e.g., the f/1.2 standard lens). S'funny, in those days I used to lust after a big Nikon system, although in practice I was shooting a Contax body with off-brand lenses as I couldn't afford the Zeiss stuff.

Anyway, regarding your current set-up, you've got two budget zoom which with the best will in the world are never going to compete with the Contax primes you're talking about. The 50/1.4 is a good lens, capable of sharp results, although personally I find I don't really enjoy the look of it, for reasons that I can't really quantify. It doesn't help that the 24-70 f/2.8 zoom is so good that I don't use the 50 that much anymore. Sometime soon I'm going to test the 50/1.4 back-to-back against the 50/1.8, to see whether I like it any better.

As I say, try the 35/2 and I doubt you'll be disappointed. Even at full aperture it's pretty impressive, and once you close down by a stop or two then it's up there with the best.

Back