Zeiss Mutar III - any thoughts?

M

mikel

Hey!

I know a lot of people use Mutar I and some even use Mutar II, but I wonder if anyone actually used Mutar III? Focal length multiplier factor of this one is 1.4 and resulting only in one f-stop loss. Judgding from the spec sheet, it also seems to be very well built optically, thus probably being less compromising on sharpness than Mutar I & II. Could be a nice thing to carry around with D28 f/2.8, P50 f/1.4 and P85 f/1.4. It would effectively result in three more focal lengths at relatively high speeds - 40mm f/4.0, 70mm f/2.0 and 120mm f/2.0.

Does anyone have first-hand experience with it? And what's the average used price for mint condition one in USD?

Thanks in advance,
Mike.

M

mikel

Ahh, as it usually happens, I found partial answer to my question after posting it. Carl Zeiss has technical spec sheet that lists all compatible lenses and specifically states that all others are mechanically incompatible. D28, P50 and P85 are incompatible, which pretty much means that I would have no use for Mutar III then.

I guess the thread can be simply deleted or kept for historical record in case similar question comes up some time later.

Mike.