DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

> Focus problems were my complaint also. I don't think I could have been more careful or taken longer time for pushing the shutter. I sold the G-1 for a G-2. I need to expose more rolls but I think the problem is solved.

Dave

Further to the above: I have just dug out some depth of field tables and found that at the camera to subject distance of 3.9m and an aperture of f2.8 the plane of focus set by the G1 (4.7m) would be well out of focus. In fact I would have to be at f8 to be anywhere near and preferrably >f11.

This could explain early problems with the G1 & 90mm Sonnar not getting focus right?

Oh! And for those who think that this is a problem with the tests - I focused on an area of high contrast - a decorative border on my bedroom wall.

Regards,

Clive

I am not sure I understand this thread. My G-1 focuses just fine using my
35 and 90 mm lenses. I don't think it's a G1 vs. G2 issue, bu merely a
number of G1's that are badly calibrated. What do you think? I want to get
a 45mm at Delta, but looking at this thread, it looks almost risky.

Vivian

> Clive wrote :"When you say that the readout is accurate I take it that you mean it represents the focus distance set by the camera as opposed to the actual camera to subject distance?"

Sorry i was unclear. I mean the readout is very
close to the actual camera to subject distance -
but this sets the lens at a position where focus
is set behind this distance. So this is actually
a slightly different problem to yours. However,
both these problems have been reported on the
web previously and were reported to have been
sucessfully fixed by Kyocera.
I'd recommend that you get it calibrated,
especially if you need the "green label"
update anyway. You should send the lens too,
as the mechanism in the lens can also need
calibration (though this seems to be a much less
common problem).

Clive wrote: "This could explain early problems with the G1 & 90mm Sonnar not getting focus right?"

Yes, i agree. If there was a focusing error which
was just inside the DOF of the 45mm but outside
the DOF of the 90mm, then it could appear
(incorrectly) that there was a particular problem
with the G1/90mm combination.

I agree Vivian, that this is a calibration
issue. The focusing system on the G1 is
accurate and consistent, *once it is properly
calibrated*. Vivian, to be safe, i guess you
should buy from somewhere with a return policy.
However, if the 35 and 90 mm lenes focus
accurately, then it is extremely unlikely that
you would have a problem with a 45mm.

I hope my comments here don't seem too negative
towards the G1. I believe this is a fantastic
camera and echo all the positive comments i've
read here and elsewhere. I think it's well worth
living with the occasional G1 that needs a
focus calibration.

Conor

Conner,

You wrote:

"Yes, i agree. If there was a focusing error which
was just inside the DOF of the 45mm but outside
the DOF of the 90mm, then it could appear
(incorrectly) that there was a particular problem
with the G1/90mm combination."

Surely the focus problem is also related to aperture and subject to camera distance rather than purely down to the focal length of lens employed?

Many people use 90mm lenses for portraits and detail shots at relatively wide apertures thus compounding any error in focusing whereas wider angle lenses tend to be used on subjects further away from the camera - landscapes, street shots, etc where the d. of f. will be much greater and less likely to show incorrect focusing. (If you shot at 2 metres with the 90mm you would get the same result at 1 metre with a 45mm lens and the d. of f. would also be the same so any focus error would also show up similarly).

I do however agree that the problem is down to the camera rather then lens related.

Regards,

Clive

Clive,
I was thinking of DOF for aperature wide open and same subject distance for the two lenses - and this probably doesn't relate to how they would be used. Agreed, what you've said is a more practical scenario.
Conor

Please, can anyone help me? I have got my G1 without its instruction booklet and I don't know how to select the (4?) custom functions.
Thanks in advance.
Alberto

> I have an extra instruction manual for the T200 flash. Brand new. Yours for $5 plus mailing.

Dave

In looking to buy a used G1 camera, I notice that one of companies selling the camera states that the G1 has been "G2 modified." What does that mean?

Also, aside from not being able to use the auto focus, will the zoom lens work on the G1?

Hi Alberto,

The custom modes on the G1 are accessed by holding down both the Drive & ISO buttons for a few seconds.

The display changes to 1 - 0 or 1 - 1
Press the ISO button to scroll down the menu, press Drive to change the function.

1 is Auto Exposure Lock on the shutter button
0 = off, 1 = on

2 is the Auto Bracketing sequence 0 + - or + 0 -

3 is for the film leader on rewind 0 = in 1 = out.

To leave the film tab out you need to see 3 - 1 in the display.

Hope that helps,

Clive

Back