DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Manual Focussing Screens

Darrin, the 21mm Distagon is an amazing lens and I can thoroughly recommend it, but as DJ says it's very expensive now.

Well the focussing screen mystery continues.
I tried my 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 and 70-210mm f3.5 lenses today, and both seemed to focus accurately. It's driving me mad!!
crazy.gif

Switched back to the 85/1.2 and 135/2 and it's off again.
I don't really feel inclined to spend any more time on it, because I just can't see there being a solution to such a ludicrous problem. I'll just have to put it with the Bermuda Triangle and Loch Ness Monster mysteries and forget it.

Thankfully I seem to be able to focus the standard screen accurately, so I think I'll stick with that and maybe email Katzeye and see when they're going to have their new screen ready...

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions anyway, much appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt

Let us all know if Katz Eye does one Matt. Still an option I'd like to have in my bag.

DJ, I haven't seen a E++ 21/2.8 for under $3,500 in a year.

I wish there was a flip magnifier for all these cameras like there is for the Contax line.

This is an extract of the reply I got from Rachael regarding the Katzeye screens for the 5D:

"As for the 5D screen, it is definitely going to happen… the only question is when. It’s actually proving to be one of our most difficult developments to date, so we’re really taking our time to make sure we get it right. I’m tentatively hoping to release it in January, but it’s really still too early to tell for sure."

The link Bobby posted above is worth reading, it sounds as though the blackout in the centre problem will be much reduced. This would obviously make focussing whilst already stopped down much easier; good news for us Zeiss users.

I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything certain on the screen.

You can email Katz Eye Optics and ask them to notify you when the new screen for the 5D is available. I am on that list.

AARRRGGGGHH! I already paid $200 for my current Brightscreen!! But when you're manually focusing and stopping down, how much is too much for a real boost??? The operative words here are REAL BOOST!

Anybody want to chip in for a trial?
biggrin.gif

I guess if you amortize it by the images shot and divide by the cost of the 1DsII body ...
sad.gif

DJ, if you have only just bought the screen, you can return it to them for a full refund. I bought one too, and was not too impressed with it and promptly returned it. Still waiting for my refund though. I did get an email from them to say they do the refunds every other week.

Best thing to do is to return the screen and get the new one. You have a one-week grace period, but if you are returning it for an upgrade they may be more accommodating i.e. they may (hopefully) allow you to do it even if you've had it for more than a week.

No dice there - the screen's a year old, just about. Got it as soon as I got the body. So no dice there. Plus it's a special order with the thirds grid lines, which are non-returnable. Think maybe they'll give me a frequest-buyer discount?
happy.gif

I e-mailed them for more info.

A year old? The 5D came out only last October? Mine was also a custom order with the 1/3 grid lines, but Jim at Brightscreen assured me that I can return it if I am not happy with it for whatever reason ... so I did.

The new screen looks really good. If only it's not that darn expensive ...

DJ, elaborate on "Real Boost" please.

I'll try the new screen because I believe the diagonal split image is preferable to horizontal or vertical versions. If it works, I'll also order one for my Hasselblad.

But I need info from users on how well it really works.

Back