DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Manual Focussing Screens

Marc, take advantage of the 7-day return policy. If you are not completely satisfied, you can return it. Diagonal split is great for precise focusing on the eyes, etc.

Bobby, I have a 1DsII, not a 5D. I just got this response from Brightscreen:

"These new screens are currently expected to begin shipping mid to late December and possibly sooner. The current cost is $ 199.96 + SHI FedEx delivery. We ship direct worldwide.

The extra large microprism is optically clear therefore this screen will perform with added brightness."

Marc, a "real boost" means I can noticeably focus better :). Sounds like it should be noticeably better than my current microprism arrangement. I guess I'll give it a try when they come out
uhoh.gif

The extra-large split-image and microprism collar may be more annoying than helpful - I don't know. Only way to find out is to try it. When I had my plain matte screen with the one-third grid lines, I really hated the grid lines - they are thick black lines that just jumps out at you. It was a horrible distraction for me.

I am currently using the Canon Ee-D screen with the thin grid lines and I am happy with it, for now. It would be nice to have a screen that's really effective for MF lenses. I will wait for the Katz Eye version, which will definitely be cheaper too.

I would be keen to hear anyone's findings with that screen also. The larger split/micro area sounds great at first thought, but I too wonder if it might be overpowering or distracting.

Out of interest, I called Canon UK again today and spoke to a very helpful man, who fortunately had enough knowledge to understand the bizarre nature of the problem with my Ee-s screen (unlike the last lady I spoke to, who although very pleasant, suggested it was because the screen was not communicating with the electronics in the camera properly!!!).

He said he would pass my details to the technical guys and someone will call me back by Monday. Sounds promising, I'll keep you informed.

Matt, did you ask her how a piece of inert plastic was supposed to communicate with the CPU?
uhoh.gif
rofl.gif

I was certainly very tempted DJ, but I was in a good mood so managed to restrain myself, and anyway it's cruel to mock the afflicted.
wink.gif

DJ, I am not sure if you were quoted the pre-dscounted price of $200 for the 5D screen, as someone in DP Review ordered the new 5D screen for $160 + S/H.

Mark, if you are ordering one, make sure you get the 20% discount as advertised on their site ... which is a $40 saving.

Matt, you're a true gentleman, as should be. And nice people are getting hard to find, so let's be nice back
happy.gif

Bobby, the discounted special is new at the web site - thanks for the heads-up. They had no pricing originally.

I'm placing my order ...

Great! Looking forward to your report, DJ. I am still trying to decide between the Brightscreen and the Katz Eye version which should be out in January (I'm no no hurry), and maybe even Haoda Fu's 5D split-image screen (lease expensive option) which will be available very soon.

Back