DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

If leica can contax can as well

is it me or has CCD/CMOS technology taken a HUGE leap?
The new DCS/Pro images look absolutely brilliant in dynamics and sharpness.
Same (but slightly less impressive) with the new superCCD 4th gen.
Compared to one year ago, the images are a _lot_ better, it's like a completely different medium.
I think there are also signs that manufacturers are now less megapixel savvy, and aim for more quality with current resulutions..
Has digital matured already?

Still, if I look at the new DCS/Pro images, and compare them with more-or-less equal ND images, I can *not* see any difference.. maybe with a magnifying glass?
Maybe contax should just re-release the ND with better firmware and desktop software at this moment (of course, a better price tag could also help.. I still find adverts with the ND+24-85 for €9000, which is absurd).

Marco, while the ND is a great performer once you unlock it's secrets, the image quality isn't quite up to the big meg cameras like the Canon 1Ds, and now apparently the Kodak Pro n (AKA 14n upgrade).

Look in the test gallery here for the comparison Irakly and I did between the 1Ds and Contax ND.

The significance of image differences may not manifest themselves in 8X10 prints except showing a bit smoother tonal gradation, but if you crop or enlarge to any significant degree, the differences are more apparent to the eye.

Marc

Would you have any idea on how the images from a Canon 10D compare against the ND? I have just started to shoot with a 10D and Zeiss lenses, and I will have 4 very good lenses:

Distagon 21mm/2.8 (just ordered)
Distagon 28mm/2.0 (German MM)
Makro-Planar 60mm/2.8 (1:1 ratio)
Planar 85mm/1.4 (German MM)

Bobby

List,
I have the same opinion as Mr Laidlaw. I am a bit skeptical of the film advance lever. While I agree with Austin that it might be used to cock the shutter, I still have doubts.
Does this means that the camera has a shutter which will also lead to the conclusion that metering might be done off the shutter (Like most rangefinders)?
If that is the case, this would take up a lot of space in the camera. Considering that the LCD panel is of a swivel design (Taking up more space), and would take up space, I wonder if there is enough space in the camera foa the shutter and metering cell. From the picture, it seems very tight.
Another thing that i noticed is that, if the camera has a shutter between the glass and the sensor, would that mean that the LCD will not be able to be used to wiew images real time? and can only be used to view pictures taken? If that is so, would it be an over design to design it as a swivel design and take up space? Wouldn't it be better if they just have it fixed? (ala Digital SLRs)

Anyway, I do hope that my skepticism is proven wrong and that there really is work done to come up with a digital rangefinder. The wait has been just too long...

kc

Further thoughts on shutter cocking lever - do we miss such an animal on the G2 or RX - I don't think so. I think shutter cocking levers other than on manual wind film cameras have gone the way of the starting handle. Wilson

I wonder if my Voightlander 15mm f:4.5 Super Wide Heliar will work with this new Cosina/Epson digital rangefinder? Maybe even the Voightlander 12mm? What would the APS-sized sensor mean for the resulting effective focal length using these lenses?

Back