Zeiss Vario Sonnar 40-80mm/3.5

blumesan

Someone asked me about a Vario-Sonnar 40-8-mm/3.5 lens. I have never see such a lens. I was not able to find any reference to it in several web sites (contax, zeiss, kyocera, etc.) Anyone have any info re lens availability and quality? Thanks.
Mike Blume.

bobbl46

Look in the Forum under Manuals - it's there, in the discontinued section of C/Y mount.

They come up for sale secondhand every now and again. A very quick look with a search engine found a couple straight away.

A C/Y dealer friend once commented that it was "OK" - that sounded like a half-hearted recommendation to me! But then again, he has had access to all the later zooms too.

Cheers, Bob.

blumesan

Bob
Thanks for your prompt response. By the "Forum" I assume you mean this forum under MFL. I scrutinized that list and found no reference to this lens, at least in the titles of the threads. I will keep looking.
Mike.

bobbl46

Hi Mike, I'll admit it takes a bit of finding if you've never done it before!

Look right at the top of the page. Here, it says Manuals.

Under here, there is a heading Contax C/Y mount:-

For those of a cynical nature (not you Mike!), I'd hate to be accused of condescension by posting these screen shots. I find it easy to do .....and as this is a photo connected forum ..... anyone should be able to appreciate that a picture is better than a thousand words!

It's a shame that I should even need to justify my method of help, but I have recently seen a few ex&les of good-willed help being shot down for what might appear to be no more a "sin" than that of being read by "more of an expert" than the answer was intended for! Sigh!

Anyway, I hope Mike finds it useful.

Cheers, Bob.

blumesan

Bob.
Many thanks for your detailed instruction and pictures (always worth 1000 words). No justification should be necessary. Too much information is always better than too little. I found the site. Now all I need is some feedback from someone who has actually used this lens.

I am a complete newbie on this site and I think it is a terrific resource.

Thanks again,
Mike.

contaxrus

Hi Mike,

I own a Vario-Sonnar 40-80mm and find it a fine substitute for the 50mm lens lineup. I don't think I ever took a photo I liked with the 50mm view. The Zeiss 50mm lenses are superb optical performers, but I typically "see" a little tighter or wider. So this lens doesn't need to go very wide or long - I have other Zeiss lenses to accomplish this.

The color saturation and the resolution of details are superb . My only reservation is the f3.5 aperture. In low light, I've missed some focusing attempts. An AF body may remedy this.

If you need to go wider or longer, the newer Zeiss zooms may be preferable.

Cheers,

Tom

blumesan

Tom,
Thanks for your response. I have a 50mm & an 85mm and I was looking for a way to take just one lens along on trips. This lens looks like it may be the answer.
Mike.