DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G1 or G2

Hi Saras,

I strongly suggest getting a "green label" G1 or some lenses won't work with it. The 45 is the best of all the G lenses as far as sharpness and image quality, and the 35 is fine, but, IMO, not as good.

Regards,

Austin

Hello Saras,
I think if you can have only the one lens, I'd go for the 35. The 45 probably is better but not so as you would really notice the difference and the 35mm is the more versatile of the two. If you had both, you might find as I have done, that I am saying to myself I must put on the 45 and get some use from it, otherwise I would probably stick with the 35 pretty well all the time. IMO that plus a 90 would be a good combination.
Regards,
John

Saras,
I use the 35 and the 90 with my G2. The 35 is a very versatile lens, and its the one I use the most. I personally don't like the bokeh it produces, but I don't tend to make images that depend on smooth bokeh, so it's not a problem for me. I find it a great lens.

You can see an ex&le of the bokeh I'm talking about in this image, shot on Reala 100 at either f4 or f2.8. I don't know how this would look on the 45.. maybe better, maybe worse.

http://www.pixpopuli.com/test/032717.jpg

The 90 is a great companion for the 35, if you ever wanted to get a second lens.

Neil

Saras,

you got a number of replies. Nobody commented on the size so far. The 35mm is substantially smaller than the 45mm - Size seems an issue for you. Also if you think of getting two lenses, I think the combo 35 & 90 would be more useful than 45 & 90.

In the end, I would try to make up my mind which focal length you want. What is your subject matter? Does that require a standard or a slightly wide lens? These are the key points in my view. The rest comes afterwards.

If you are still interested in comments on G1 vs G2 vs Leica/Voigtlander. There has been a discussion on Klaus Schroiff's photozone (www.photozone.de) recently. It is a pretty recent thread in the rangefinder category of the forum.

More fodder for thought....it does depend on what and how you like to shoot. I use the 21 and 45 most often, then the 90 and lastly the 28. However, from the info on the type of system you're trying to build...I'm in agreement with all who have supported the 35 and 90 combo.

There is something absolute about the results I get from the 45 though....

Hello Saras,
first of all I would see to buy a G1 only with the green sticker inside, so you can use all the lenses.
Secondly, I would start off with the 28mm and the 90mm, and eventually buy the 45mm later.
I wish you all a nice Easter Feast,
Peter

The G1 bether than the G2 ?!
If someone has to choose between the G1-G2 I have to say the G1 is much lighter than the G2 but not with faster shuter than 1/2000s and longer X exposure.
The manual focus dial is also a much cheaper solution than on G2.
But for the normal use of taking photograph the G1 outperforms the G2 because its so much lighter and a bit smaler than the G2.
If you dont need the few more gadgets built in in the G2, go for the G1.
Of course the G2 is the bether built camera with more futures including optional multi function back, but this camera is to heavy to go on a hike with.
Depending how far you go.

What?? Hiking with G1 is OK, but the G2 is too heavy? Does that extra 100 grams make THAT much of a difference? That difference is virtually unnoticable in "normal" picture-taking. Do you have a bad back, small arms? Hell, people hike with alot more than a G2 regularly, and go quite far.

I would not say the G1 outperforms the G2 in any way. In normal use, you might miss the picture because of the G1's slowness (I certainly have, which is why I sold it) Sometime you just can't get your subject to hold still! The G2 outperfoms the G1 in every way, provided of course, your arms can handle holding the extra 100 grams.

Saras,
Regarding your question 35 vs. 45mm, I think it is really purely a matter of the focal length you prefer (as long as you got a "Green label" G1). In case you have not seen it, a member has posted a link to his/her (?) nice test of the 35mm:

http://www.pbase.com/jsklee_contax/contax_g35

It is sharp enough for me, at least.

Juan

When you go on a photo trip around your home city with your G2 and do the same the next day with the G1, wich one do you prefer to take with when you wanna travel light.
It wont be much different but you will be happy to have a lighter G1 with one superb 35mm Zeiss lense on it.

If you have to choose between a 35mm and a 45mm, both are excelent lenses but the 35mm has a more intresting angle than the 45mm and it is more versatile.
I am not sure, but it is rigth on the G1 they did change the stiker from silver to green for the camera update.
So it does not matter what color the stiker is but there should be a stiker when using with a 35mm and 90mm Lense ? or does it ?

Back