DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Anyone out there switched from nikon to canon

thd

Where to begin? I started shooting digital pics w/a Canon G3 two years ago. A nice little (albeit expensive) p-n-s. After a year of use, I purchased a Nikon D2h (since all my glass is nikon). Of course then Canon debuts the 1DMKII, at 8mgs - yikes. Anywho, I am mulling over the BIG switch, and was looking for feedback from anyone out there who has made the switch.

I shoot sports and have been disappointed with the AF of my D2h. (I've experienced "back focus" problems) It seems as though I could always rely on my F5's, and I thought that the new AF in the D2h was supposed to have better algorithms, I'll stop rambling. . . I'm just disappointed in Nikon.

My questions for the Canon forum has to do with the performance of the 1DmkII, shooting sports specifically. Typically how many keepers do you get, ttl flash, AF, contrasty scenes, etc. . .

I've read numerous threads on dpreview.com on both Nikon and Canon gear. If I make the switch it will be after the fall cyclocross season, which will give me the winter to accumulate bodies, lenses, etc. . . and get used to Canon's ergonomics.

cheers,
Todd

> Todd, you may get help by going out to www.birdsasart.com. I believe that > this photographer's work catching birds in flight with a Canon should be > helpful to a sports photographer. In any case his bulletins are striking and > give exact settings used. Take a look. > Mary Lou

The Canon 1DMKII is so fast it was shocking when I first got mine. Nikon flashes are better IMO (in terms of accuracy, size, consistency, and simplicity). We'll see if the new Canon 580EX remedies that.

I switched from Contax to Canon only earlier this year but I have been very impressed with their digital bodies. Just take a look at the 20D, 1D Mk II, and the new 1Ds Mk II. That's 3 amazing DSLR's released this year!

I hate to say this, but Canon is so far ahead of everyone else in DSLR development it's not funny any more ... there is currently no one, not even Nikon, who is close behind them.

Thanks to everyone who has replied, About the only film I still shoot is w/my Leica's or the Holga :D. . . If I make the switch I'll probably get a 1DmkII and a 1Ds mkII w/ the typical lenses; 16-35, 24-70, 70-200 IS and 300 2.8, and the 400 DO perhaps. . .

As for the Canon's wide angle lenses, typically what types of problems has anyone experienced?

cheers, thd

I don't know about the 400DO but the other lenses you have selected are all good. Make sure the 300/2.8 is an IS version, as there is a non-IS version too.

Most of Canon's wide-angle lenses are a little soft, especially at the maximum aperture, and a lot of them suffer from some CA and purple fringing, some vignetting, some flare, some barrel distortion, etc. On the whole, they are really not so bad ... just not as good as Zeiss or Leica wide angle lenses.

Go to the FM Review pages and look at the user reports there.

Have not actually 'switched' from Nikon to Canon, but after years of only having a Canon FT and Canonette 17 GIII, have added 3 working manual focus Canons to my 'collection' and users. An F1, 1N and A2e.

And being my newest 'babies', they have been getting the bulk of my attention and use.

Not into shooting digital yet, but do work with a 'digital darkroom'.

May be getting closer to crossing-over, and being now retired, I do not want to put out too much money. Am also still not sure just how much I would use digital vs. film.

Am looking into the Canon EOS Rebel XTi and the 40D.

Anyone have any comments for me on those two models?

Get out and photograph!!!

>I changed from Nikon to Canon about 5 years ago when the Canon D30 came out. I have Nikon F, FG, 4004. I used my trusty F for many years. It's st ill a great camera. I now own Canon D30, D60-IR, 10D, 400D (XTi), 1D, A2E , and just traded a new 40D for a 1DIIN. You asked about the 400D and 40D . The 400D is a great little camera. It's small but light, and does abo ut anything ou want. The 40D I just traded was a replacement for the firs t. Had AF problems from the start. The 40D will not AF with lenses higher than f/5.6. What this means......if you want to use a 100-400 + 1.4 TC, or 400 + 1.4 TC, it won't AF. I do birds so this was not good for me. Can on doesn't tell us about that. If I had known, I would never have bought the 40D. It's a good landscape or macro camera for lenses not above f/5.6 and AF. I felt it too limiting to keep. If you do only MF, this is the c amera for you. It also has a gazillion menus.

Back