Hasselblad A24 Data Back

Discussion in 'V-System' started by romanf, May 18, 2011.

1. romanf

romanf Active Member

You can add 32 alpha numeric characters which will print on the edge of the film. Your choice of what information. Could be locations, dates, type of film, etc.

2. wbulte

wbulte Well-Known Member

Time for a cool hack to imprint GPS coordinates...

3. David Clark

David Clark New Member

Hi - I bought an A12 back direct from Hasselblad sometime in the mid 90's - and it cost around £1200 plus VAT (20% tax). There was two software options - the psion handheld - or PC which was DOS - which I used. The psion could be connected with a GPS (which were not common then). The story I read was the A24D had been made for the American Air Force as a special - and a number were made in 1992 using new backs - and a few extra were made in both A24 and A12. The main data backs were 70mm - and these had a but that attached for programming and was then removed. I believe these could be interfaced with something in USAF aircraft that then put GPS data on the imprint. If memory serves me right you got 32 characters but can't remember if this included the rolling frame count which went from 001 to 999 and the time and date - each as a 6 digit. The unit worked with all the regular film speeds - I used mine for identifying films shot at schools and nurseries - I used to shoot thousands of children and I had a Durst printer that did mixed sizes on 8" paper, so I could do 2 up 5x4, 5x7, 8x6, 10x8 and 8x8 and 5x5. The ability to the frame imprinting was also built into the Fuji 680 system - and the irony was, at the time, I could of bought a camera, lens and back from Fuji for about the same price as this one back - however, we were heavily invested in Hasselblad gear with 3 photographers each having two cameras and lenses and another kit permanently left in the studio camera room...

4. jotloob

jotloob Well-Known Member

David

I believe , Richard Nordin , author of the well known HASSELBLAD COMPENDIUM would be very interested
    to receive your information .
    I don't have his E-Mail address anymore , but would check for it , if you are willing to pass this info on to him .
    Looking forward to hear your decision .
    Jürgen .

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dirk

dirk CI-Founder

Hi Jürgen,

thanks for the heads up. I am not sure whether Richard Nordin is registered here. There is a user with the username "limnoguy" with a similar name in his email address. So you could send a PM to him.

The best way might be to visit the website of Rick Nordin and contact him there: http://www.hasselbladcompendium.com/

best wishes

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. limnoguy

limnoguy Member

Pleased to see the conversation and comments on the A24 data back. It is a quite a rare piece - I doubt very many were made. I did mention it in the Hasselblad Compendium (page 210) but could not provide much information on it or a photo because I'd never actually had one in hand! As others have mentioned, Hasselblad at that time would produce custom items for customers. All of the "civilian" film data backs came out of the data film backs developed for NASA in the 1980s. The civilian A12D was made in reasonable numbers as were the 70mm film versions but the A24D is uncommon. Thanks for the serial number. It the only one I have on record. I can't believe they made 1181 of them in 1992 (as implied from the serial number) I suspect it was in the serial number block of A24 film magazines and simply modified with the data port and the light printer head and whatever other modifications were necessary. There were also data backs made for the MK cameras - including an A24MK Data. Anyone ever seen one of these?
    Rick

7. WMcL

WMcL New Member

FYI - On eBay, I found one "Hasselblad 63320 A24D Exp Data Recording roll film magazine for 555ELD Camera" available for US $1,200. "This auction is for a Hasselblad A24D Data Recording Roll Film Magazine for a Hasselblad 500C/M,500EL/M,500ELX,553ELX,555ELD Camera. The system allows for data recording of up to 32 alphanumerical characters on the edge of 220 film." Surprisingly, it is SN 39EH101184, which is three away from yours. This one is also in black. This provides a little more information regarding adaptability, and certainly by the asking price, its rarity.

• Like Like x 1