Yellowstone & Grand Tetons

Discussion in 'Advice for phototrips' started by johndeere, May 12, 2003.

1. johndeere

johndeere Member

The trip has taken a year to plan. I will be taking a photography tour of the north central -north west. Stops include, MT Rushmoore,Bad Lands, Devils Tower, Custer Battlefield, Bighorn canyon, Cody, week in Yellowstone and week in Grand Tetons.

If anyone has any tips, I could use them. Anyone going to be in the area of the Grand Tetons during mid June and wants to team up for the early shots e-mail me.

2. sisterwolf

sisterwolf New Member

OMG, JD, that is one of my favorite trips!!! I have made it that way twice, now! Rushmore is something you can just drive by and shoot. It does not require lots of time. WHile you are there, you should see Crazy Horse monument. It is pretty cool. The badlands are beautiful! I regret not taking enough pix. You can head down to Wounded Knee site, too. The land is so beautiful! Custer was very fun and informative. I really enjoyed the walking tour. It ate up a lot of time in a day. I can go on, and on! PM me if you want to chat more. Hopefully we can chat soon.

3. nele

nele Member

If you plan to spend any of that time in a tent, I suggest putting cameras in air-proof containers
    (giant zip-lock bags are ok if you squeeze out all the air) with di-humidifier bags EVERY night, then dry them out thoughly when you return to a hotel.
    The only Nikon that ever died on me was a F2 that rusted out the shutter mechanism after a few weeks on an expedition to deep temporate virgin forests. It could only have been from the condensation inside the tent at night -- since it never got wet, I just put it back with old equipment when I returned home.

4. jecinco

jecinco New Member

I lived just outside Yellowstone for 10 years. Now I'm stuck in the Pittsburgh area. If you go to the Tetons make sure you get to Schawbach Boat Landing for Sunrise. A must shot. It's a mile to two past the Moose Junction on the outer loop road on the left just after the Glacier View Turn out. Arrive early and stake out your spot along the edge of the Beaver Pond. Also just before that on the Right is Antelope flats road take that out to Mormon Row. You will find all the old Barns you see in a lot of the Classic Teton Shots.

If you have the time hike to take the boat across Jenny lake and follow the signs for Cascade Canyon. You will past Hidden Falls (nice Spot) and the climb a little into Casade Canyon. It's a faily easy hike in a classic glaciated canyon. If your really up for a longer hike follow the canyon up about 6-7 miles to Lake Solitude, it's well worth the trip. Round trip with the boat ride is about 15 miles, if you miss the boat it's a few miles longer.

I wiss I could be there but i just got back from a Snowy Week in Yellowstone over the Memorial Day Hoilday and can't get back out until July. I gotta work for a living....

Other good hikes....
    - Paintbrush Divide - if the flower are out
    - Lupine Meadows trail

Also.. in Yellowstone the road from Canyon Village north to Tower Falls is closed for repair this year. The road from Canyon Village to Hayden Valley is tore up and muddy but open.

Have fun